5nine Cloud Security for Hyper-V
March 03, 2014
$499 per two CPU per year.
For the Hyper-V cloud provider with a multi-tenant environment, Cloud Security enables good granularity for the security administrators of the various tenants. Each tenant can manage its own virtual machines, but the extent of that management is controlled by the enterprise administrator. This layered, role-based security is very "Microsoft-ish," and administrators in MS shops will feel right at home.The product provides a virtual stateful inspection firewall, an anti-virus system and an intrusion detection system. This functionality is tied together in a compact management console with the familiar MS look and feel. The anti-virus engine - Vipre - also has an extension that 5Nine calls Active Protection. That basically is a real time AV service placed on the virtual machine itself. It provides real-time protection while the other AV engine provides scanning. The scanning is incremental so the AV explosion is kept to the minimum.
The IDS is based on Snort and new rules take only a couple of clicks to create. The firewall is a filtering extension to the virtual switch and operates in kernel mode. Because this product is tightly coupled to Hyper-V, there is a lot of functionality that results. For example, there is a plugin for MS VMCenter that allows the security administrator to manage from that.
At a glance
Product 5nine Cloud Security for Hyper-V
Company 5nine Software
Price $499 per two CPU per year.
What it does Provides security in a virtual environment for Hyper-V systems.
What we liked Security tightly coupled to Microsoft Hyper-V.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context