Akonix L7 Enterprise
August 27, 2004
from $3,500 per server and $50 per user. Enforcer starts at $2,000 per server and $12.50 per user
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Flexible and very highly scalable suite of products offering comprehensive enterprise-wide IM management and monitoring.
Relatively complex offering with multiple plug-in modules could make this appear daunting to smaller enterprises.
A very powerful and scalable IM control suite that enables enterprises to mix and match modules to achieve the exact functionality they require.
This is an enterprise software proxy gateway, deployed at the perimeter behind the firewall to manage and secure access to IM services. The product forms the central hub of the Akonix modular suite of IM security products, providing a single point of management for controlling all aspects of IM activity within enterprises.
Features have been developed to allow administrators to meet the government, industry and internal compliance regulations applied to real time electronic messaging.
The gateway boasts support for all major public and enterprise IM services including AOL, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo! Its design, based on plug-in protocol adapters specific to different sets of protocols, gives the choice of optional connectors for integrating enterprise IM traffic from IBM Lotus Messaging, Microsoft Office Live Communications Server and Reuters.
The L7 Enterprise product provides a gateway to proxy IM traffic generated by staff within an enterprise, and managers can monitor all IM communications in real time. It can also be integrated with central virus scanners to monitor threats. Another useful security feature allows you to ensure internal messages between employees are not allowed outside the organization.
It can control or reject peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing use based on attributes including sender, recipient, and file attachment type and size. Message content and file names can also be managed based on keywords and pattern matching.
This product also boasts enterprise-class scalability with each gateway designed to support up to 20,000 concurrent IM users on a single server. Beyond this level the L7 Enterprise gateways can be clustered with multiple gateways distributed across multiple locations to improve scalability.
Compliance Manager, a plug-in module that comes with the product, offers web-based compliance workflows for archived messages. It can provide support for regulatory requirements applying to both email and IM services, access for internal and external auditors and tracking all IM activity.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Popular adult website XTube compromised, delivers malware
- Android vulnerability leaves apps open to malicious overwriting
- One in three of the top million websites are 'risky,' researchers find
- Orgs predict $53M risk, on average, from crypto key, digital cert attacks
- Hanjuan Exploit Kit leveraged in malvertising campaign
- Report: 71 percent of orgs were successfully attacked in 2014
- Self-deleting malware targets home routers to gather information
- 'PoSeidon' point-of-sale malware targets payment card information
- Amedisys notifies nearly 7,000 individuals of potential breach
- Report: More than 15,000 vulnerabilities in nearly 4,000 applications reported in 2014
- The best defense is a good offense: The importance of securing your endpoints
- British Airways says rewards accounts hacked, locked down
- Documents on NSA's zero-day policy provide little insight, EFF says
- GitHub on DDoS alert, efforts to curb its largest attack continue
- Shadow data: The monster that isn't just under your bed