March 09, 2008
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to manage with a full feature set.
- Weaknesses: None that we found.
- Verdict: A solid anti-malware gateway with good value.
Aladdin’s eSafe has many new and updated features since its last release. The feature set of this product include a full gambit of email and web safeguards, such as the validation of recipients with the integration of LDAP/Active Directory. This feature greatly reduces undeliverable emails and improves network performance. Message identification creates a point-to-point record of all emails sent both internally and externally written directly into the session log file. The HG-200 appliance can setup user or group profiles to define attachment types, sizes, content filters, anti-phishing, anti-spoofing and password protected archives. Aladdin’s eSafe protects organizations from web threats through administrative file-type blocking policies.
This product is simple to setup and easy to use and manage. Initial configuration is done on the LCD screen on the front of the appliance. Once the IP address and network information is entered, further administration is done via the management console software. We found this management console to be easy and intuitive to navigate. Managing policy is quite simple as well.
From a performance standpoint, we found this product to be solid. The default policy is setup as a good starting point and in most cases works just fine. We really liked the Applifilter, which can block harmful applications, such as IM, P2P and remote control programs. Also, the console features a real-time traffic view, which gives a brief summary of HTTP and FTP traffic.
Documentation is good and is broken down into three sections: the eSafe Gateway, email and web manuals. Also, there is an eConsole administrative manual that is helpful during the deployment process. All the documentation provided will easily enable an IT staff member to successfully install and configure. There is a good use of images and screen shots that provide a visual reference during the deployment and configuration process.
Support offerings for this product consist of both phone and web. Aladdin’s phone support is offered from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CST and a four hour or less response time is common. A well-designed website provides documentation and contact numbers.
At a price of $3,500, this product is an excellent value for the money for almost any size organization looking for solid gateway malware protection.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard