AlgoSec Security Management Suite v6.4
June 03, 2013
Starting at $10,000
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Fully integrated suite with a lot of automated features.
- Weaknesses: None that we found.
- Verdict: Solid product with strong features and a good price point. We make this our Best Buy for its excellent price/performance.
The AlgoSec Security Management Suite is comprised of three parts: the FireWall Analyzer, FireFlow and BusinessFlow. The FireWall Analyzer allows administrators to fully automate auditing and management of FireWall rules and policies. FireFlow provides a change workflow platform to manage FireWall policy changes, including automated changes to Check Point devices via the ActiveChange feature. Finally, BusinessFlow brings together firewall and security policy with application needs. Without putting systems at unnecessary risk, administrators and application managers can use BusinessFlow to easily and accurately ensure that a proper policy that grants required application rules is deployed throughout the environment.
We found installation of this appliance to be quite straightforward and easy. The initial installation is done by connecting to the appliance through a console or SSH connection to configure the IP and network settings. Once we had the network settings in, we were able to manage and configure the appliance through the web-based management GUI. We found this interface to be fairly simple to navigate with an intuitive layout. We also found the integration of the various functions to be well-organized throughout the interface. As for adding and managing devices, we found this product to be easy to configure and we were up and running in minutes.
This product comes pretty well loaded out of the box. On top of device support for almost any firewall and router, the AlgoSec Security Management Suite comes preloaded with several ready to go workflows for adding, removing and re-certifying rules and removing or changing objects. Also included are pre-defined reports for regulatory compliance auditing. Some of the templates include PCI, SOX, ISO 27001, NERC CIP, Basel II and J-SOX. Aside from compliance auditing, this product also helps streamline policy risk assessment through deep analysis of the existing rules throughout the environment, as well as finds unused rules and objects and shadowed, duplicate and expired rules to eliminate clutter and unnecessary risk to the network. On the application side, this product offers full automation for translating application connectivity requirements to firewall and router rules. This ensures each application gets properly crafted rules with no unneeded open or wrong ports.
Documentation included with this product consists of several PDF user guides and manuals. We find all guides to be well-organized and easy to follow with many step-by-step instructions, configuration examples and screen shots.
AlgoSec offers three different tiers of technical support to customers as part of a support and maintenance program. Customers can purchase support at nine-hours-a-day/five-days-a-week, 16/5 and 24/7 levels. Each of these levels includes phone, email and web-based assistance.
With pricing starting at around $10,000 for the appliance, software and licensing, we find this product to be a very good value for the money. The AlgoSec Security Management Suite offers a lot of features and functionality at a competitive price. - MS
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- 'MEDJACK' tactic allows cyber criminals to enter healthcare networks undetected
- Samsung devices, including Galaxy S6, vulnerable to remote code execution
- Dridex banking malware spreading through new spam campaign
- U.S., China agree to cybersecurity code of conduct
- Suspicious activity on LastPass network, data compromised
- Former Georgia-Pacific sysadmin charged with damaging protected computers
- Harvard University announces network intrusion, possible data exposure
- Saboteurs leverage RIPv1 for DDoS reflection attacks
- More than 440K new Android malware strains found in Q1, study finds
- Apple releases OS X 10.10.4 and iOS 8.4, numerous bugs addressed