June 01, 2007
starting at $10 per device per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Flexible and powerful malware and security management tool.
- Weaknesses: Difficult to use and a bit pricey.
- Verdict: Closest thing to a good "one size fits all" product we've seen.
BixFix AntiThreat is a module of the powerful BigFix platform. The platform can manage a multitude of areas in the environment, such as policy reinforcement and software management. The AntiThreat piece of the pie deals with managing viruses and spyware. This product provides preemptive defense against malicious virus, worm, trojan and spyware attacks by using a centralized management console and deploying agents onto all machines in the environment.
While this product is extremely powerful, we found it difficult to use. Installation is fairly easy as it is guided by a series of helpful wizards, and agent deployment can be used via Active Directory. However, the console itself is cluttered and awkward. We found the console to contain so much granularity that it was a bit overwhelming to navigate. While we realize that granularity adds to the power of the product, we had a lot of trouble finding our way around the console initially and understanding exactly how to make the product work best for our environment.
Even considering the difficulties with the console, we cannot deny the amazing amount of flexibility provided by AntiThreat and the BixFix platform as a whole. This product integrates lots of features, both in malware management and network security. This product provides one central place to find real-time information on the entire environment and solve or remedy almost any security risk.
Several PDF manuals make up the documentation for this product. All documentation is available via the vendor website and can be accessed by going to the support area. The PDF files include an administrator’s guide, console operator’s guide, web reports guide and an upload manager guide. All documentation is clear, easy to understand and includes many screen shots and diagrams.
BigFix AntiThreat comes with standard support, as well as providing a good support area on the vendor website. The website support area includes many downloads, demos and documentation, as well as contact information.
With prices starting at $10 per device per year, the cost may appear a little steep. However, there is a lot of functionality and flexibility in the BigFix platform and we find this product to be a good value. It provides almost total security management within a single product.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Oracle PeopleSoft attack could enable big data breaches
- Zero-day in Fiat Chrysler feature allows remote control of vehicles
- Cyber attack on U.S. power grid could rack up $1 trillion in losses, study says
- All smartwatches are vulnerable to attack, finds study
- 'GSMem' malware designed to infiltrate air-gapped computers, steal data
- Report delves into RAT videos on YouTube
- Tor Project, Library Freedom Project to establish Tor exit nodes in libraries
- PagerDuty requires password change for all customers following breach
- Cisco: Attackers innovating, evading defenses in first half of 2015
- Does Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sense spell end of private wireless networks?