Apple patches zero-day QuickTime flaw with 7.6.8 release

Apple on Wednesday released a new version of QuickTime to plug two vulnerabilities, including a zero-day flaw that is being actively exploited simply by tricking a victim into visiting a web page.

Version 7.6.8 closes the flaw, publicly revealed in late August by Spanish researcher Ruben Santamarta and affecting versions 6 and 7 of QuickTime. Santamarta, who works for Madrid-based security firm Wintercore, said the flaw is able to bypass two built-in Windows security features: Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR). He successfully tested the exploit on Windows 7, Vista and XP machines.

"An optional parameter '_Marshaled_pUnk' may be passed to the ActiveX control to specify an arbitrary integer that is later treated as a pointer," according to the Apple advisory. "Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution."

The same bug was reported to Apple by TippingPoint's Zero Day Initiative on June 30 — two months prior to Santamarta's release — but it was never fixed, tweeted Aaron Portnoy, who manages the security research team at TippingPoint.

Apple credited TippingPoint, not Santamarta, with the find.

A Websense spokesman told SCMagazineUS.com last week that exploits taking advantage of the flaw are not currently widespread but "definitely present."

Wednesday's QuickTime update also addresses a vulnerability in the Picture Viewer that could be exploited to execute arbitrary code if a victim views an image in a malicious directory.

Both of the patched flaws affect Windows 7, Vista and XP Service Pack 2. Mac OS X systems are not impacted.


Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.

Three LulzSec members plead guilty in London

Ryan Ackroyd, 26; Jake Davis, 20; and Mustafa al-Bassam, 18, who was not named until now because of his age, all admitted their involvement in the hacktivist gang's attack spree.