Astaro Security Gateway
July 01, 2007
starts at $2,550
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Very affordable, fully loaded UTM appliance.
- Weaknesses: Working with the webGUI is slightly awkward at first.
- Verdict: A solid product with a lot of experience behind it and good value for most sized organizations.
The Astaro Security Gateway splits its protection into three categories. These categories are network protection, web filtering and email security. Network protection includes a firewall, IPS and VPN capabilities. The web filtering piece features a web content filter, web anti-virus and anti-spyware, as well as IM and P2P control. The final part is email security and this includes email protection from spam, phishing and viruses, as well as email encryption.
All these features come together in a fairly easy to use web console. At first glance, the webGUI appears to be quite difficult to navigate, but it becomes simple to find your way around once you’ve tinkered a bit with it. The actual deployment of this appliance is guided by a simple wizard that also assists in setting up an initial filtering policy.
This appliance contains a lot of functionality. We found policy management to be simple and straightforward with most policies configured by simply checking a box. Much of its functionality, according to the vendor, comes from best of breed open source software. The company claims to have invented the UTM category in 2000. Regardless of whether or not that is accurate, the result of seven years of experience in the field is reflected in the product’s performance.
In a world of big PDF manuals for documentation, this product goes against the grain with three very simple paper manuals. These manuals include a getting started guide, operating instructions and an administration guide. All these manuals are clear and easy to read. The administration guide is especially in-depth with excellent detail, step-by-step procedures, screenshots and diagrams.
Customers have access to the Astaro support web portal. This portal includes a knowledge base, manuals, training videos and a URL filtering database check. Other support programs are offered at additional cost, including platinum support featuring 24/7 phone and email ticketing.
The product is priced starting at $2,550. At these prices, this product offers a lot of value for the money. The Security Gateway comes in different sizes for different size environments. This appliance would be a good buy for almost any size environment.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Free security tools help detect Hacking Team malware
- Zero-day in Fiat Chrysler feature allows remote control of vehicles
- All smartwatches are vulnerable to attack, finds study
- Fake games in Google Play redirect Android users to porn sites
- Survey: Black Hat 2015 attendees most concerned about targeted attacks
- 'GSMem' malware designed to infiltrate air-gapped computers, steal data
- Critical Android bugs can be exploited via MMS, 950M users affected
- Breach affects 3,000 clients enrolled in Georgia state program
- Top of the app charts - Shuabang: automated malware made in China
- Federal appeals court rules no expectation of privacy for preventable 'butt dials'