Missing information includes ultrasound images, names, birth dates and Social Security numbers of patients who visited two health facilities.
Emory Healthcare in Atlanta lost the personal information of surgery patients treated at its three hospitals when 10 backup discs went missing.
A number of storage devices belonging to the California Department of Child Support Services went missing while in transit.
A suit contends that the defendants failed to properly encrypt data, then "intentionally, willfully and recklessly" allowed an untrained individual to access the information.
Three unencrypted backup tapes containing the personal information of more than a million and a half individuals have gone missing from Nemours, a children's health system in Wilmington, Del.
One of the largest breaches of the year has struck a military health benefits firm and a major defense contractor, and the data wasn't encrypted because a compliant solution wasn't available.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Supreme Court hears first appeals case for exec convicted under CFAA
- Black SEO offered to cyber-criminals
- FBI investigates Russian hacker that stole billions of login credentials
- 5M affected in VTech breach; security concerns raised with popular holiday items
- Internet of malicious things: Yale home automation vulnerable