In a rare acquisition, Apple has acquired Melbourne, Fla.-based mobile and network security firm AuthenTec for $356 million.
The Federal Trade Commission in December plans to hold a workshop to investigate the privacy and security implications of facial recognition technology. The agency announced this week that the workshop, which is free and open to the public, seeks to bring together consumer protection groups, privacy experts, and industry and academic leaders. The meeting is expected to address such topics as whether consumers should consent to the collection and use of their images. Facial recognition products can provide an added security layer at places like airports or automate photo tagging on sites such as Facebook, but critics worry they also could be used for intrusive surveillance. As a result, offerings have emerged that can help people hide their faces from the technology.
We kick off the year with strong authentication as our theme. That includes multifactor and biometric authentication.
The New Hampshire House of Representatives on Wednesday rejected a controversial bill that would have banned the use of biometrics data in identification cards.
A bill under consideration in the New Hampshire Legislature, which would prohibit any government agency or private entity from using biometrics in ID cards, is pitting privacy against security.
A biometric solution helps Stock Yards Bank & Trust manage passwords and aids in compliance efforts, reports Greg Masters.
Banks must encourage customers to use online facilities and to protect existing internet customers from fraud.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context