In a rare acquisition, Apple has acquired Melbourne, Fla.-based mobile and network security firm AuthenTec for $356 million.
The Federal Trade Commission in December plans to hold a workshop to investigate the privacy and security implications of facial recognition technology. The agency announced this week that the workshop, which is free and open to the public, seeks to bring together consumer protection groups, privacy experts, and industry and academic leaders. The meeting is expected to address such topics as whether consumers should consent to the collection and use of their images. Facial recognition products can provide an added security layer at places like airports or automate photo tagging on sites such as Facebook, but critics worry they also could be used for intrusive surveillance. As a result, offerings have emerged that can help people hide their faces from the technology.
We kick off the year with strong authentication as our theme. That includes multifactor and biometric authentication.
The New Hampshire House of Representatives on Wednesday rejected a controversial bill that would have banned the use of biometrics data in identification cards.
A bill under consideration in the New Hampshire Legislature, which would prohibit any government agency or private entity from using biometrics in ID cards, is pitting privacy against security.
A biometric solution helps Stock Yards Bank & Trust manage passwords and aids in compliance efforts, reports Greg Masters.
Banks must encourage customers to use online facilities and to protect existing internet customers from fraud.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Nearly 90 percent of Android devices vulnerable to endless reboot bug
- Women in IT Security: 10 Power Players
- Scanner identifies thousands of malicious Android apps on Google Play, other markets
- Report: Phishing costs average organization $3.7 million per year
- Women in IT Security: Women of influence
- DOJ issues new 'stingray' policies and begins requiring a warrant
- Outdated websites deliver TeslaCrypt via Neutrino Exploit Kit: Heimdal
- Scammers and schemers look to cash in on Ashley Madison breach
- ACLU asks DOJ to withhold funds for LAPD body cams
- A question of balance between security solutions and the people who use it