With Hurricane Sandy on a collision course with the Northeast, cyber crooks are likely to take advantage of the historic storm to make a quick buck or steal personal information from the unsuspecting.
As part of its services, Google sees thousands of new, malicious websites each day, and delivers warnings of poisoned search results and dangerous downloads to millions of users.
Malware delivered through spam may be taking a backseat to trojans delivered via social networking sites and web searches, according to a report from Barracuda Networks.
Google has launched a new service that notifies web surfers in search results if a website they may visit has been compromised.
Web security firm Zscaler has released a free Firefox add-on designed to protect users against black hat search engine optimization (SEO), a tactic cybercriminals use to get their malicious links to appear at or near the top of search results. The add-on works by changing the referrer string of a visitor so that a malicious site is unable to tell if the user surfed in via a search engine, such as Google, Bing or Yahoo, the company said in a blog post Friday. Typically SEO sites direct users to malicious pages, such as fake anti-virus sites, if they detect a search referral URL. — DK
An upcoming report from Google details the persistent threat posed by fake anti-virus software, which currently accounts for 15 percent of all web-based malware.
Spammers are on the Valentine's Day prowl already, and more ploys are expected, researchers at Trend Micro said Monday.
Cybercriminals have launched a black hat search engine optimization (SEO) campaign to exploit the earthquake in Haiti, according to security researchers at anti-virus company Panda Security. Searches for "Haiti earthquake donate" or "Haiti earthquake donation" yield malicious links leading to rogue anti-virus products, Luis Corrons, lead researcher at PandaLabs, said in a blog post Wednesday. SEO campaigns are common: Two ongoing ones are leveraging the movie "Avatar" and Google's new Nexus One smartphone. — AM
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard