Canadian opposition party targeted in botnet attack

A malicious attacker deliberately attempted to interfere with a crucial party leadership vote in Canada last month, according to a company commissioned to run the online voting system used.

Scytl Canada, which provides online balloting services, confirmed that a deliberate denial of service attack was launched in an attempt to disrupt the federal NDP leadership vote on March 24.

Over 10,000 separate computers were used in the denial-of-service  (DoS) attack, which began during the second round of balloting, which began at 11 a.m.. Reports of timeouts on the system caused operators to examine the logs, identifying and external attack.

Scytl increased system throughput and blocked malevolent IP addresses, and managed to keep the system running at a slower speed.

“By keeping ahead of the attackers, Scytl was able to allow the voting process to proceed with an overall three-hour delay,” the company said.

The attackers used a botnet with compromised machines located mainly in Canada, the company said after research. “The required organization and demonstrated orchestration of the attack indicates that this was a deliberate effort to disrupt or negate the election by a knowledgeable person or group,” it said in a statement.
The NDP leadership election was held following the death of former leader Jack Layton in August.
close

Next Article in SC Canada

THE LATEST ISSUE

Features

Archive of SC Magazine Canada

SC Magazine Canada

THE LATEST ISSUE

Features

Archive of SC Magazine Canada

SC Magazine Canada

More in SC Canada

Bill C-30 falls owing to expense and privacy concerns

After intense opposition from the public, the Canadian government pledged to not introduce additional legislation to monitor online activity.

Critical infrastructure a weak point, says Canadian official

The Canadian government should to make it mandatory for utility companies and others to tighten security, a former official told a security conference.

China-telco partnership fears unwarranted, says Ontario official

The nascent partnership between a Chinese development group and an entrepreneurial hub funded by three levels of Canadian government has raised concerns from an outspoken former security adviser to Nortel Networks.