Cavoukian slams Supreme Court

Ann Cavoukian, Ontario's information and privacy commissioner, slammed the Canadian legal system in her opening speech at a symposium on surveillance and privacy late last month.

Cavoukian cautioned the audience about the dangers of data linkages, in which personally identifiable information, such as IP addresses and mobile device identifiers, are linked to anonymous data, such as surfing records.

"While our Supreme Court in Canada missed out on an ideal opportunity to address the vital issue of data linkages, the United States court did not," she said, referring to the court's upholding the need for police to obtain a warrant before tagging a car with GPS.

Warrants are vital for accountability, said Cavoukian, adding: "If the police have a basis for which they should access personally identifiable information on someone that they believe is involved in wrongdoing, then they can make their case to a judge."

Cavoukian railed against Canadian lawful access legislation, which supports giving law enforcement officers warrantless access to internet usage data. She expects that legislation to be reintroduced "most likely" in February.

Cavoukian has been a proponent of "privacy by design," a term that she invented. Security should be baked into products and services rather than implemented as an afterthought, she said. In 2010, privacy commissioners around the world adopted it as an international standard.

The Canadian event was designed to coincide with International Privacy Day on Jan. 28.

THE LATEST ISSUE

Features

Archive of SC Magazine Canada

SC Magazine Canada

THE LATEST ISSUE

Features

Archive of SC Magazine Canada

SC Magazine Canada

More in SC Canada

Bill C-30 falls owing to expense and privacy concerns

After intense opposition from the public, the Canadian government pledged to not introduce additional legislation to monitor online activity.

Critical infrastructure a weak point, says Canadian official

The Canadian government should to make it mandatory for utility companies and others to tighten security, a former official told a security conference.

China-telco partnership fears unwarranted, says Ontario official

The nascent partnership between a Chinese development group and an entrepreneurial hub funded by three levels of Canadian government has raised concerns from an outspoken former security adviser to Nortel Networks.