Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. UTM-1 2050
July 01, 2007
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.Product:
starts at $15,500
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Very flexible UTM with lots of capability.
- Weaknesses: High cost and difficult to manage.
- Verdict: Serious UTM with good breadth of capability hampered somewhat by cost and easy of use.
The Checkpoint UTM-1 appliance features the standard UTM capabilities, such as firewall, IPS, anti-virus and anti-spyware. However, also included in its bag of tricks are some more interesting features, including a web application firewall, VoIP security, IM and P2P control, VPN and a web URL filter.
The deployment of this product is fairly easy and straightforward due to an intuitive initial configuration wizard. Once the device is up and running, the real fun begins. The webGUI itself does not do much at all. Instead it is supplemented by several consoles that are all part of Check Point’s SmartConsole. Managing this device is quite a task, not intuitive at all, and it actually can become quite an awkward process.
With all that said, this product has a lot of flexibility. Many of the policies can be set to a high level of granularity. This appliance is also supported by Check Point’s SmartDefense Services, which constantly provide near real-time updates.
Documentation for this product consists of a getting started guide and a quick start guide that work together to help with the initial deployment of the device, as well as to detail the initial configuration wizard. There is also a user guide which details all other configuration on the box.
Check Point offers several levels of support via subscription. These levels range from a basic level — which includes software product upgrades, feature packs, service packs and hot fixes — to a much higher level, which includes extra features, such as 24/7 direct support, product review and auto renewal. Also included with the device is a USB key that can be used to reset the appliance, and a number for technical support. We found that feature innovative and we wish other products would jump on this creative bandwagon.
Pricing starts at $15,500. This product is at the highest end of the price spectrum. Check Point says on its website that this appliance is aimed at medium-sized businesses and branch offices. We would say that this may be a somewhat pricey investment. Couple that with the overhead of difficult management, and this box is not as good a value as it could be.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Impact of Linux bug 'grinch' spans servers, workstations, Android devices and more
- House, in rush vote, passes Intelligence Authorization Act
- More than 100K WordPress sites compromised by malware due to plugin vulnerability
- Phishing email contains Word doc, enabling macros leads to malware infection
- U.S. accounts for most Mac OS X attacks and websites seeded with malware
- Neverquest botnet furthers crimeware-as-a-service biz for fraudsters
- Solo attacker likely responsible for phishing campaign, delivering Zeus variant
- Telecommunications companies on the line with FTC, FCC for cramming schemes
- The 10 POS malware families this holiday season
- White House calls Sony hack a "serious national security matter," gov't mulls proper response