Church of Scientology website hacker charged

Updated on Wednesday, Oct. 22 at 10:18 a.m. EST

A New Jersey man has been charged for his role in the distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack against the Church of Scientology website in January.

Dmitriy Guzner, 18, of Verona, N.J. faces up to 10 years in prison for his role in the crime and is expected to plead guilty in federal court, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Guzner pleaded guilty for his role in the crime and agreed to pay $37,500 in restitution.

DDoS attack is launched by sending a large amount of traffic to a website or group of websites. As a result, the Scientology site was knocked offline because it could not handle the large volume of traffic. The website shutdown caused monetary losses of at least $5,000, according to court records.

In this case, researchers detected 488 DDoS attacks against the church, with an average size of 15,000 packets per second. To mitigate the problem, the church was hosted by Prolexic Technologies, a Scottsdale, Ariz.-based provider of DDoS mitigation solutions, SCMagazineUS.com reported in January.

Guzner was part of the underground group called Anonymous, which protests against the Church of Scientology. 

Anonymous said earlier this year that it would attempt to bring down the church after the church tried to claim copyright infringement over the spread of edited clips from a 2004 promotional video featuring actor and well-known Scientologist Tom Cruise.

The approximately 10-minute video, set to the music of the “Mission: Impossible” soundtrack, features Cruise lauding the church. He said at one point: "Being a Scientologist, when you drive past an accident, it's not like anyone else; as you drive past, you know you have to do something about it, because you know you're the only one that can really help."

The hacker group also accused the church of filtering anti-Scientology comments made about the video, which was posted on YouTube and Digg, among other places.

Anonymous has been responsible for some 3.6 million harassing emails, 41 death threats and 56 bomb and arson threats against the church since January, the church said in a statement.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

Bitcoin mining botnet has become one of the most prevalent cyber threats

Fortinet researchers have tracked 100,000 new ZeroAccess trojan infections per week, making the botnet very lucrative to its owners.

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial ...

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help ...

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.