August 08, 2006
CT100 appliance: $13,995; Network Access Control module: $9,999
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Device and network compliance device with added security features.
- Weaknesses: Extra support cost via required support contracts.
- Verdict: A strong product with lots of features that put it above the average multi-function security appliance.
This product has a simple, straightforward setup and initial configuration, and generally, we found it easy to work with. Understanding the console takes some reading of the documentation, though. ForeScout uses many non-traditional icons and the interface can be confusing to start with, but the console user guide is very helpful in explaining how to use the interface.
CounterACT is a very different type of multi-function appliance from others in this category. It is a multi-function device, but the functionality serves purposes different from typical universal threat managers.
It does include a firewall, VPN, and IPS, but is designed more for managing user, network, and device compliance. This product combines features such as identity management, device validation, vulnerability scanning and network policy and compliance control in a single box.
The ForeScout appliance is well-integrated and well-organised. With a capability to integrate seamlessly with all devices on a network and provide its own unique set of features and tools, we found this product to perform very well.
Although the management of the device can be challenging, it is a good product for appliance and policy management and network compliance.
ForeScout provides many different pieces of documentation for the CounterACT appliance. There is a quick installation guide that illustrates setting up hardware, installing the operating system on the appliance, basic configuration, and setting up the console.
Other forms of documentation come as PDF documents on the CD and include user guides for the console and other installation manuals. The documentation is clear and has useful charts explaining the console’s buttons and icons.
ForeScout also offers plenty of support options, although none of it is free. Support for this product is only offered through annual maintenance and support agreements, which must be set up with ForeScout representatives.
While its cost is a bit high, the device offers a different aspect of multi-function protection. The appliance price includes an unlimited licence and necessary plugins for implementation.
The only other cost involved with CounterACT is for support, so for medium-sized and larger companies, this device represents a good investment.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context