CyberWar is Hell
Kenneth Geers represents the United States at the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence (yes, it does use UK spelling) in Talinn, Estonia. (Now there's a country with some experience of cyberattacks...)
The Centre has published his eBook Strategic Cybersecurity. It's a lengthy document (169 pages in the PDF version) that looks at four very different approaches to nation-state approaches to self-defense in the age of the cyberattack:
- Sun Tzu's Art of War
- Cyberattack deterrence
- Cyber arms control
It asks questions like:
- What is our critical infrastructure?
- Is it dependent on information technology?
- Is it connected to the internet?
- Would its loss constitute a national security threat?
- Can we secure it or, failing that, take it offline?