Damage not done yet for Global Payments after breach

Atlanta-based payment processor Global Payments expects to take a hit of another $55 to $65 million related to a data breach it sustained earlier this year.

The incident, revealed in March, involved the exposure of 1.5 million credit and debit card numbers to hackers. Already, the company has announced the breach cost $84.4 million.

"We expect to incur additional costs associated with investigation, remediation and demonstrating PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) compliance, and for the credit monitoring and identity protection insurance we are providing to potentially-affected individuals," the company said in a filing on Friday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

As is customary following a breach, Global Payments was removed from Visa and other card brand's lists of valid, PCI-compliant service providers.

In addition, the company said in its filing that although revenue grew nine percent in the first-quarter of the new fiscal year, to $590.3 million, profits declined to $46.6 million, from $63.9 million. The company blamed the drop on the breach.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.

Three LulzSec members plead guilty in London

Ryan Ackroyd, 26; Jake Davis, 20; and Mustafa al-Bassam, 18, who was not named until now because of his age, all admitted their involvement in the hacktivist gang's attack spree.