Most Recent Articles by Dan Kaplan
Lawsuits following data breaches are certainty. So what are plaintiffs using to win cases or force settlements, and how can corporations respond to this new liability?
There was a noticeable chill in the air at Black Hat and DefCon, due to recent action taken against security researchers, reports Dan Kaplan.
Ransomware scams typically use an official-sounding authority to dupe users into believing they've committed a crime. A new variant leverages the National Security Agency's recently disclosed surveillance program.
Meanwhile, Jeremy Hammond, who is scheduled to be sentenced this fall, has accused U.S. authorities of using Hector "Sabu" Monsegur to "facilitate the hacking of targets of the government's choosing."
A second patch released last week by Microsoft has caused problems for users, forcing the software company to pull and release an amended version of the fix.
More Articles by Dan Kaplan
Most Recent Blog Posts
SC Magazine Articles
- Yahoo breach; State-sponsored actors suspected, at least 500 million accounts affected
- Education sector bullied by ransomware and can barely defend itself, report
- Cisco warns of exploitation of new flaws linked to Shadow Brokers exploits
- DetoxCrypto ransomware imitates Malwarebytes software
- House Committee urges Obama not to pardon Snowden
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas hit with POS breach
- X-ray and MRI machines among devices used as springboards for data breach attacks
- Brexit shakeup: How will the U.K.'s exit from the EU affect the technology sector?
- Hacker purportedly selling over 650,000 stolen medical records on dark web marketplace
- OpenSSL patches 14 vulns, including high-severity flaw that can be exploited for DoS attacks
- IoT assault, connected devices increasingly used for DDoS attacks
- Cybercriminals already able to hack ATM biometric readers
- Cities planning transparency laws for police surveillance tech
- Malicious apps leveraging top UK brands has increased by 130%