eSoft InstaGate 604
July 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly capable, easy to use appliance.
- Weaknesses: None that we found.
- Verdict: A first rate product, easy to set up and manage with excellent functionality for a fair price. We award this our Best Buy.
The InstaGate 604 can be built up to have as little or as much functionality as needed by the environment. This is accomplished by using the eSoft SoftPaks. These SoftPaks are modules that include gateway anti-spyware, gateway anti-virus, IPS, spam filter, email content filter and many others. Also available are modules called ThreatPaks. These ThreatPaks bundle together protection and are available in three versions that include email, network, and web.
This product is very easy to use. The initial configuration of the appliance is done through an easy to follow set-up wizard. This wizard helps with configuration and also tests the configuration before exiting so that you can be sure all settings work properly. We found this feature extremely useful and unique. Once configuration is completed, the device will go out to the internet and grab updates and service subscriptions automatically. This allows for absolute confidence that all services are up to date and running properly. The webGUI for this appliance is very intuitive and easy to navigate.
Added to the high ease of use of this box is a feature called ThreatMonitor. ThreatMonitor is a one-stop shop for all that is going on in the network environment. Here users can view and monitor the system, firewall activity, anti-virus and anti-spyware statistics, IPS activity, and monitor email all in near real time.
This appliance is accompanied by a simple quick start guide that briefly describes the set-up wizard and steps of the initial configuration. The rest of the documentation is located directly on the appliance. This makes finding solutions to problems quick and easy. There is also context-sensitive help available on each area on the webGUI. More detailed user guides are also available.
eSoft offers 24/7 phone and email support, as well as a small support area on the website. This area contains user guides, a knowledge base and training.
Pricing for this product starts at $2,999. Starting at just under $3,000, this appliance is an excellent investment for almost any environment. Its ease of use and ease of management add to its value.
InstaGate 604 has been rated Best Buy.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- CTB-Locker ransomware variant being distributed in spam campaign
- 'Sexy Girls' wallpaper app in Google Play store accessed account info
- Proposed CFAA revisions agitate IT security community
- New attack uses ransomware to drop trojans and keyloggers
- Firm finds link between Regin spy tool and QWERTY keylogger
- Zeus variant targeting Canadian banks, U.S. banks may also be a target
- Winnti trojan may help set stage for Skeleton Key attacks, analysts say
- FTC settles with revenge porn site operator
- Upatre, Dyre used in Univ. of Florida attack
- Wisconsin chiropractic clinic notifies 3,000 patients of insider breach