Feds charge man with hacking Energy Department

Authorities have charged a Pennsylvania man with hacking into computer networks belonging to the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE) and other institutions.

Andrew Miller, 23, of Devon, Pa., was charged with one count each of conspiracy and access device fraud and two counts of computer fraud, according to a statement issued last Thursday by the U.S. Justice Department. If convicted on all counts, Miller could face up to 30 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

According to the federal grand jury indictment unsealed last week, Miller hacked into two government supercomputers associated the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center, an Oakland, Calif.-based facility which runs projects for the DoE. He bragged about the feat during an IRC conversation with an undercover FBI agent last year.

"Miller then pasted a network notification banner and file system information into the chat to demonstrate his access to nersc.gov," according to the indictment.

In subsequent conversations, Miller allegedly claimed he was working with an unidentified co-conspirator, and they had obtained root access and other user logins to several supercomputers owned by the government and educational institutions. At one point, he offered to sell access to the DoE systems to the undercover agent for $50,000, the indictment said.

Miller is an example of how criminals are chasing in on the value of access to corporate and government networks, Michael Sutton, vice president of security research at Zscaler, told SCMagazine.com. Hackers are increasingly targeting networks with "high-value intellectual property," as others will pay handsomely for the data even if it is not directly valuable to the attacker, Sutton said.

"Digital assets are easier to pilfer and can readily be turned into cash," said Sutton.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.

Three LulzSec members plead guilty in London

Ryan Ackroyd, 26; Jake Davis, 20; and Mustafa al-Bassam, 18, who was not named until now because of his age, all admitted their involvement in the hacktivist gang's attack spree.