Google faces suit over proposed privacy policy

Share this article:
The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) filed suit in federal court seeking to compel the Federal Trade Commission to stop Google from enacting its new privacy policy prior to March 1, when Google will combine its more than 60 privacy policies into a single document. The proposed changes would allow Google to combine user data from multiple Google properties without the users' consent.

EPIC says in its filing that these changes violate the Google consent order with the FTC, signed Oct. 13, 2011, which, “bars Google from misrepresenting the company's privacy practices, requires the company to obtain users' consent before disclosing personal data, and requires the company to develop and comply with a comprehensive privacy program.”

According to the suit, Google is required to keep information about a user of a given Google service separate from that of other services. It also says users will have no opt-out option.

“We take privacy very seriously," a Google spokesperson told SCMagazine.com on Monday in an email. "We're happy to engage in constructive conversations about our updated Privacy Policy but EPIC is wrong on the facts and the law. We're keeping [users'] private information private – we're not changing how any personal information is shared outside of Google. We've undertaken the most extensive notification effort in Google's history to ensure that users have many opportunities and ample time to learn about our Privacy Policy changes. And we're continuing to offer choice and control over how people use Google services. We've created a world-class privacy compliance program, as we're confident our third-party assessments will demonstrate.”
Share this article:
You must be a registered member of SC Magazine to post a comment.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

Ground system for weather satellites contains thousands of 'high-risk' bugs

Ground system for weather satellites contains thousands of ...

An audit of the Joint Polar Satellite System ground system revealed thousands of vulnerabilities, most of which will be addressed in two years when the next version of the system ...

Threat report on Swedish firms shows 93 percent were breached

The study by KPMG and FireEye also found that 49 percent of detected malware was unknown.

Former acting HHS cyber director convicted on child porn charges

Former acting HHS cyber director convicted on child ...

Timothy DeFoggi, who was nabbed by the FBI last year in its Operation Torpedo investigation was convicted by federal jury in Nebraska.