Filipino authorities arrest second man in hack that revealed data on 55M voters

Filipino authorities arrest second man in hack that revealed data on 55M voters
Filipino authorities arrest second man in hack that revealed data on 55M voters

The 23-year-old mastermind behind the hack of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) website, which led to the exposure of 55 million voter records, was arrested by the Cybercrime Division of the National Bureau of Investigation in the Philippines Friday.

Jonel de Asis was picked up by authorities at his Muntinlupa City home, according to a report by GMA News Online. De Asis said claimed he had only been trying to spotlight the COMELEC website's shortcomings so that the commission would better safeguard data, the report said.

Another suspect, Paul Loui Biteng, also 23, was picked up last week for the hack, in which 340GB of data was stolen. The purloined information was posted online in searchable form after Biteng's arrest. Authorities are looking for a third suspect, GMA News Online reported.

You must be a registered member of SC Magazine to post a comment.

Sign up to our newsletters

TOP COMMENTS