Intellectual Property News, Articles and Updates
A 23-year-old Pennsylvania man compromised two supercomputers belonging to the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center.
Much of the breach conversation over the past year has been devoted to so-called hacktivists. But nation-state adversaries, bent on looting organizations of intellectual property, are another breed entirely.
Symantec confirmed late Thursday that hackers did in fact compromise a portion of its source code, but the stolen code is related to two enterprise security products that have been discontinued.
A Symantec spokesman said the company isn't sure if the hackers claims are true, but said no source code -- only a document from 1999 -- has so far been publicly posted.
Hackers over the summer targeted at least 29 companies in the chemical sector during an attack campaign aimed at stealing intellectual property.
China is denying a U.S. congressional committee's claim that hackers interfered with two government satellites.
eBay, Motorola, IBM, McAfee and VMware were reportedly affected by same type of attack orchestrated against RSA.
The personal information of tens of thousands of University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) students and employees is at risk after a server was discovered to be infected with malware.
A California congresswoman has requested a meeting with McAfee's head researcher and his team following the security company's release last week of a 14-page report chronicling a persistent hacking campaign affecting some 50 U.S. organizations.
A group of senators are asking the Securities and Exchange Commission to clarify the reporting responsibility of companies that are breached, as a means to protect investors.
With sophisticated hackers such as Albert Gonzalez behind bars, last year's crop of digital intruders were less slick but more prolific, according to the security industry's landmark data breach report.
Hackers have breached several servers belonging to WordPress.com to steal source code, the founder of the popular blogging platform revealed Wednesday.
As the security market continues to heat up, vendors must take steps to avoid patent infringement lawsuits.
Cybercriminals have shifted their efforts from targeting individuals' personal information to the intellectual capital of global corporations, according to a report released Monday.
Experts are unclear about the level of risk facing RSA customers after the security firm on Thursday reveled that hackers successfully breached its systems.
Hackers have successfully infiltrated security firm RSA to steal information related to its two-factor authentication products, the company's president revealed in a letter Thursday to customers.
A political hacker has claimed responsibility for a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) that took down Wikileaks.org just before a planned release of confidential documents.
All IP-enabled devices are at risk to devastating attacks that can result in the theft of intellectual property, or worse.
Yet another complex -- but stealthy and effective -- cyberespionage network has turned up, this one largely targeting Indian computer systems. Again, the operation is believed to be run out of China.
A new report from Forrester Research's consulting arm reveals that organizations are focusing too much on compliance and not nearly enough on protecting valuable proprietary information.
The Chinese government likely is endorsing cyberespionage against the United States, a new government advisory commission report, released Thursday, found.
We need to develop a collective consciousness for coping with the growing menace of cyber attacks, says Stanton Sloane.
SC Magazine Articles
- WordPress Summer of Pwnage: 64 holes in 21 days
- WhatsApp in the spotlight after Turkey publishes messages of coup officers
- Deal with the devil: Ransomware experiment proves you can negotiate price down
- 2.3 million 'Warframe,' 'Clash of Kings' accounts compromised
- Microsoft EOP exposes users to data breaches, whitepaper
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas hit with POS breach
- X-ray and MRI machines among devices used as springboards for data breach attacks
- Hacker purportedly selling over 650,000 stolen medical records on dark web marketplace
- Wi-Fi warning! Study finds U.S. unaware of public Wi-fi risks
- Trump's Russian interests and Guccifer 2.0
- Russian hackers take the stage at DNC convention
- TSA master key hackers expose dangers of physical and digital key escrow policies
- Patchwork cyberespionage campaign branches out to strike businesses
- Proliferation of hacker culture helped keep Anonymous from being branded terrorist org