February 2012 Issue of SCMagazine
The FTC settled a case with Upromise after it failed to encrypt information and provide details about its data collection practices.
News briefs: Anonymous strikes again, massive cyber fraud scheme busted, certificate authorities, and more
Anonymous strikes again, massive cyber fraud scheme busted, certificate authorities, and more.
Company news: Larry Whiteside named CISO at Spectrum Health Systems, and other M&A and personnel announcements
Company news: Larry Whiteside named CISO at Spectrum Health Systems, and other M&A and personnel announcements.
Threat of the month
2 minutes on
While many mobile applications do what they're supposed to, countless others carry malware.
Skills in Demand
Companies are looking for network and server engineers.
Me and my job
When people ask him what he does, Rick JR Mayberry tells them he helps Fortune X companies develop their network security roadmap.
Debate: M&A activity in the cyber security arena will significantly increase in 2012.
As cloud computing evolves, security strategies must address load, perimeter and behind-the-firewall protection, as well as availability.
There are legitimate situations that require elevated privileges for users to accomplish their jobs.
An enhanced volume of sharing is allowing critical infrastructure operators and government agencies to better defend themselves from attacks, says Mark Clancy, The Depository Trust ...
Organizations are working overtime to design ways to control, via policy and technology, employees' penchant for sharing private information across social networking and mobile devices.
Turf wars remain a major roadblock to embracing the merger of physical and logical security. But Honolulu CIO Gordon Bruce believes the right time for ...
Criminals are finding social media websites like Facebook, which contain a vast array of personal assets, to be a treasure trove of information that they ...
Data protection laws can be more effective if simpler, says JAS Global Advisors' Jeff Schmidt.
If one wants to address a vulnerability, one needs to add vulnerability management.
Group Test 1
Core Impact Professional started life as a pure-play penetration test tool.
The Retina CS from eEye Digital Security provides a multitude of vulnerability scanning and management features and functions.
The FortiScan-3000C from Fortinet provides full agent-based and agent-less vulnerability scanning, as well as patch management capabilities and remediation.
LanGuard 2011 from GFI is a powerful vulnerability management application.
Lumension Scan is a part of the larger Lumension Vulnerability Management platform.
The McAfee Vulnerability Manager comes loaded to the gills with powerful onboard tools for solid vulnerability management.
The Nexpose Enterprise Edition appliance from Rapid7 is another tool that has grown into a vastly different product over the years.
Last year at about this time, we were introduced to Saintbox from Saint and found it a wonderful marriage of all the Saint products in ...
Unlike traditional hardware appliances, this product is available as both a rack mount server, but also as a smaller Dell OptiPlex unit.
The Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) from Secunia takes an interesting approach to vulnerability assessment.
Back again this year is our old friend Nessus from Tenable Network Security. For as long as most can remember, this has been a necessary ...
ManageEngine Security Manager Plus from Zoho is a full-scale tool that provides a lot of punch in a relatively tiny package.
This month's First Look specializes in whole disk encryption and, unlike many other products, can do the entire process of encryption and encrypted disk access ...
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context