February 2014 Issue of SCMagazine
This month's issue includes features on advanced malware and contributed articles that give insight on the state of information security.
Following revelations of a massive breach during the holidays, Target announced it will be investing some $5 million in a cyber security coalition, researching cyber ...
Reuters reveals that RSA collaborated with the NSA, plus breaches at Target, Affinity Gaming and Snapchat, and other industry news.
In this month's debate, experts discuss the importance of Big Data analytics in the industry today.
Our company news features Co3 Systems' new CTO, McAfee phasing out its brand name, and Blue Coat Systems acquiring Norman Shark.
Threat of the month
The continued leak of classified government intelligence documents by Edward Snowden draws into question the balance of offensive and defensive capabilities of governments.
2 minutes on
IT pros tend not to spend much time pondering whether physical access to a computer system is locked down.
Skills in Demand
As has been the trend, 2014 will usher in new U.S. government regulations, particularly surrounding compliance.
Me and my job
We take a look inside the professional world of Mat Gangwer, security architect at Rook Security.
With the advent of nearly omnipotent video surveillance, the age-old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words," scares me more today than it ever ...
After a quiet year on the advanced malware front, we could soon see more activity, says the Atlantic Council's Jason Healey. Karen Epper Hoffman reports.
Global consensus on data breach legislation is still evolving, but fear of brand damage is pushing reform, reports James Hale.
There are six security threats all businesses should be aware of for 2014, says ISF's Steve Durbin.
Students in Georgia were given iPads, but a firewall was impeding network connections...until a solution was found, reports Greg Masters.
We are "ethical hackers" or "white hat hackers." We are penetration testers. Never let us be aligned with the mass media's view of hackers.
Group Test 1
The UVM20 Security Management Appliance from BeyondTrust offers a full set of vulnerability scanning and compliance tools that are well integrated into a single easy-to-use ...
Insight Enterprise offers a full vulnerability and risk management platform that can be used to analyze and prioritize vulnerabilities throughout the enterprise to ensure that ...
LanGuard from GFI Software is back again this year and those who are familiar with the tool will feel right at home with the latest ...
Internal Scan - Cloud Edition from netVigilance offers a full vulnerability testing suite that can scan pretty much anything with an IP address and report ...
QualysGuard Express from Qualys uses the software-as-a-service (SaaS) model to provide vulnerability and compliance management services to customers.
Virtual machine makes deployment easy, high-gain antenna for Wi-Fi cracking.
Secunia’s Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) enables users to leverage its signature-based vulnerability scanner via installable software agents and/or a simple-to-use web-based console.
Focusing more on total risk than individual threats, this product analyzes networks in a holistic manner, enabling security teams to first remediate threats to hosts ...
Strategic Cyber’s Cobalt Strike application is a serious penetration testing and educational tool.
Combining the gold-standard Nessus vulnerability scanner with the powerful Passive Vulnerability Scanner and Log Correlation Engine, Tenable’s Security Center Continuous View brings some of the ...
Let's agree on a definition of the term "security" and move forward from there, says AT&T's Chris Mark.
SC Magazine Articles
- Yahoo breach; State-sponsored actors suspected, at least 500 million accounts affected
- Cybercriminals already able to hack ATM biometric readers
- Education sector bullied by ransomware and can barely defend itself, report
- IoT assault, connected devices increasingly used for DDoS attacks
- Cisco warns of exploitation of new flaws linked to Shadow Brokers exploits
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Las Vegas hit with POS breach
- X-ray and MRI machines among devices used as springboards for data breach attacks
- Hacker purportedly selling over 650,000 stolen medical records on dark web marketplace
- Wi-Fi warning! Study finds U.S. unaware of public Wi-fi risks
- Presidential debate 2016: Candidates pledge cyber investment, differ on Russia
- Yahoo faces congressional action and class action lawsuits following historic data breach
- Case study: Hawaiian Telcom says aloha to AlienVault security management
- Pippa Middleton's iCloud account hacked
- OpenSSL patches 14 vulns, including high-severity flaw that can be exploited for DoS attacks