May 2013 Issue of SCMagazine
Misogyny in business, overall, is a problem. In IT and IT security, it's a bigger one, says SC Magazine's Illena Armstrong.
This month's news briefs cover recent headlining bits on the malware that struck South Korean companies, a new law requiring federal agencies to review IT ...
This month's company news include a new CTO at Easy Solutions, ForeScout's new CFO, and the new vice president of marketing at Tufin Technologies.
Threat of the month
For our May issue's "threat of the month," we focused on pdf.exe.zip files, an old-style email executable attachment attack.
2 minutes on
As nations engage with one another in shadowy conflicts taking place in the digital sphere, experts are questioning whether treaties and rules that were created ...
Skills in Demand
For moving core apps to the cloud or implementing new systems in companies' internal environments, IT project managers are in great demand.
Me and my job
Marty Edwards' job is to coordinate efforts between the government and the private sector.
In this month's debate, experts discuss if advanced malware is still a persistent challenge after administrator rights are removed.
Employees lack the training to collect and preserve email and electronic evidence.
Are we creating a cyber professional salary bubble that will eventually burst, asks Holly Ridgeway, SVP and CISO enterprise systems at PNC.
Aaron Swartz's death inspired Rep. Zoe Lofgren to want to reform the federal anti-hacking law, but some security pros worry this would sterilize a potent ...
With data-mining firms harvesting personal information from online activity, privacy advocates, if not yet consumers, are alarmed, reports James Hale.
Over the past year, there have been numerous creative features added to just about every digital forensic tool that we reviewed.
Group Test 1
There are three products in AccessData’s forensic suite that every digital forensic investigator needs: Mobile Phone Examiner (MPE) Plus, Forensic Toolkit (FTK) and AD Triage.
The Triage-G2 Pro is a competent product offering a solid user experience.
The Cellebrite UFED Touch Ultimate is a fully equipped mobile forensic tool that enables quick and easy data acquisition from more than 8,000 mobile devices.
Both Mac Marshal Forensic Edition and Field Edition provide user-friendly forensic tool kits.
Encase Forensic v7 is a tool for computer investigation that both searches a computer system for information, as well as aids in the process of ...
HBGary’s Responder Professional is a Windows memory acquisition and analysis tool that offers a variety of features useful to malware analysts and computer forensic investigators.
Lima Forensic Case Management Software from IntaForensics is a complete, end-to-end case management system that offers an easy way to organize every aspect of a ...
The NIKSUN NetDetector/NetVCR Alpine 4.2.1 is a network security monitoring tool with advanced forensic analytical capabilities.
ProDiscover Incident Response (IR) from Technology Pathways is a computer security tool that allows users to preview, image, view, search, analyze and report.
The Forensic ComboDock is a read/write blocker. It makes it impossible to unintentionally turn off write-blocking.
The rule may help leaders better understand the impact of cyber risks, says PwC's David Burg and Laurie Schive.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Lenovo PCs shipped with 'Superfish,' adware that opens users to MitM attacks
- Florida law enforcement docs show widespread stingray use, secrecy
- Malware on Lime Crime website, payment cards compromised
- After Superfish-Lenovo incident, Facebook probes larger issue of SSL-sniffing adware
- Gemalto investigates claims that gov't spies hacked SIM card encryption keys
- Carbanak APT campaign made off with $1B from banks globally
- BMW issues security patch for bug allowing attackers physical access into vehicles
- NIST requests final comments on ICS security guide
- New attack uses ransomware to drop trojans and keyloggers
- Microsoft phishing emails target corporate users, deliver malware that evades sandboxes
- State breakdowns: Anthem breach by the numbers
- Botnet of Joomla servers furthers DDoS-for-hire scheme
- Study: SMBs lack thorough understanding of state data breach notification laws
- Bug in popular WordPress plugin opens up websites to SQL injection attacks