September 2010 Issue of SCMagazine
Yet another data breach notification law at the federal level has been introduced into the U.S. Congress.
Threat of the month
2 minutes on
This growing mobile application landscape has many questioning the privacy and security risks.
Skills in Demand
Me and my job
Companies handling sensitive information should always spend time to think through policies surrounding the use of mobile devices.
To improve security in remote offices, technology alone will not suffice. Staff attitudes, motivations and cultural norms must be better understood.
There is a lack of sufficient filtration and protections of internet traffic as implemented by the ISPs.
Cloud computing can make an organization more secure, says Randi Levin, CTO, city of Los Angeles. Dan Kaplan reports.
The real-life tales of how authorities hunted down some of the nation's most dangerous digital crooks, as reported by Deb Radcliff.
Experts say the time to start planning for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is now, reports Angela Moscaritolo.
The third annual SC World Congress, to be held Nov. 10-11 in New York, brings together top security leaders, practitioners and vendors.
A financial services company found help to monitor its configurations against internal and regulatory requirements, reports Greg Masters.
It is access management time again. This month, we look at two groups that fit in that broad category: network access control (NAC) and identity ...
From the online mailbag
Group Test 1
An all-in-one appliance platform that centrally manages identity-based and endpoint device authentication using network access control (NAC)/network access points (NAPs) for wired, wireless and VPN ...
Bradford Network Sentry v4.1.1traditionally is sold as an integrated, appliance-based solution.
Enterasys NAC v3.3 provides standards-based, inline or out-of-band pre-authorization and post-authorization control for wired, wireless LAN and VPN.
ForeScout CounterACT v6.3.3 is an out-of-band appliance solution that provides authentication-based protection for endpoint and VPN devices.
McAfee NAC Solution v3.2 provides network access security by detecting and assessing managed systems on your network and enforcing access to network resources based on ...
The Sophos NAC Advanced Compliance Manager v3.2.2 is a software-based offering providing central management for policy, assessment, reporting/auditing/alerting, mitigation and enforcement, by user group, through ...
Trustwave NAC v3.6.0 is an appliance-based solution that works in a distributed yet centrally managed architecture and includes both sensors and management servers.
Group Test 2
The Centrify Suite allows administrators to control users access to Linux and UNIX machines using their already existing Active Directory accounts.
Ensim Unify Enterprise is a combination of tools that provide user access management and account provisioning across a wide range of products.
Fischer Identity from Fischer International provides full-service user account management and account provisioning all in one application.
The Hitachi ID Identity Manager is part of the Hitachi ID Management Suite, which also includes utilities for password and privileged password management.
The Imprivata OneSign appliance provides identity management and single sign-on capabilities in one appliance
The Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager integrates with the company’s SharePoint to give administrators the ability to manage user identities and create identity workflows all in ...
Novell Identity and Access Management is comprised of three modules: the Identity Manager, which includes user-provisioning tools; the Access Manager, which provides access rights to ...
The Passlogix v-GO Access Accelerator Suite offers up a lot of functionality packaged into several small applications.
Quest One Identity Solution offers full-scale, full-service account provisioning and management.
QRadar Risk Manager from Q1 Labs
It is difficult to measure exactly what the ROI is for security, particularly when you haven't suffered any type of breach, says McAfee's Alex Thurber.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Website observed serving 83 executable files, more than 50 percent malware
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- TeslaCrypt used to extort over $76K in recent months
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes
- Researchers publish developer guidance for medical device security
- Senate gears up for Saturday USA Freedom Act vote; House breaks for recess
- Researchers observe SVG files being used to distribute ransomware
- Federal prosecutors charge Chinese nationals with trade secret theft