Mobile security problems continue to vex many an IT security officer.
The challenge is using resources wisely and right-sizing a network security strategy that prioritizes protection.
Dan Kaplan, executive editor of SC Magazine, sits with WInn Schwartau to discuss what exactly keeps him up at night as a security professional.
Dan Kaplan, executive editor of SC Magazine, sits with author and vendor Winn Schwartau to discuss what exactly keeps him up at night as a security professional.
Threat of the month: Chrome exploit
Me and my job: Brian Wolfinger VP of electronic discovery & forensic services, LDiscovery
Virtualization software vendor, VMware, confirmed this week that source code from its ESX hypervisor technology was leaked onto the internet.
Bring-your-own-device and cloud security are just some of the topics that add to the changing threat landscape of online security.
By implementing some basic best practices, you will be able to adjust and defend against cybercriminals' new tactics.
CeCOS VI: The Counter eCrime Operations Summit: A cybercrime conference I can't get to, but heartily recommend
When it comes to the causes of data breaches in health care, these are four scenarios that could have easily been prevented.
Cyber criminals have cloaked spam to resemble US Airways check-in emails in phishing attempts that lead to Zeus trojan infections.
At a recent SC Magazine Roundtable, gov't security pros bemoaned the difficulty in obtaining resources. But instead of crying over spilled milk, they traded ideas for mitigating risk in a down economy.
Be patient and give staffers a real chance to show their stuff, says Michael Potters, CEO of the Glenmont Group.
Imagine a mobile device falling into the wrong hands - resulting in the draining of bank accounts co-opting of identities.
Debate: Anti-virus is essential.
One of the most talked about threats this month is the infamous Ukash ransomware.
As more organizations move into the cloud, the demand for virtualization security architects is growing.
There are a whole host of things driving budget, resources and tweaks to security/risk management programs.
With data proliferating at astonishing rates, organizations are tearing into it, hoping to derive new business value, which, according to Zions CSO Preston Wood, includes better security decision making.
Much of the breach conversation over the past year has been devoted to so-called hacktivists. But nation-state adversaries, bent on looting organizations of intellectual property, are another breed entirely.
Company news: M&A activity and personnel announcements
There's a certain amount of tension between testers and vendors from time to time, even in the rarified atmosphere of an AMTSO workshop.
Most businesses don't understand how to manage risk, yet, we live in a world full of risks, says Guidance Software's Anthony Di Bello.
"Budgets are low, while threats are increasing," said Hugh Njemanze, CTO and VP of worldwide research and development at HP Enterprise Security, at this year's RSA Conference 2012.
John Vigoroux, CEO of security at M86, discusses the challenges facing the IT industry today at this year's RSA Conference 2012.
Standards and policy leaders are concerned about the lack of threat intelligence on smart grid.
Threat of the month: Compromised embedded systems
To thrwart web attackers, organizations must think like a criminal and turn to tricks that will stop attackers in their tracks -- or even make them believe that they are succeeding.
We've recently been witnessing tremendous change in perspective when it comes to IT security and the shroud of embarrassment associated with breaches has been lifting.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context