M-Tech ID Synch and P Synch
February 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Of the full featured identity management products, this product was the easiest to install and configure, and the web-based interface was the most intuitively laid out.
- Weaknesses: Understanding how the proxy server component fit into the product was confusing.
For full-featured identity management, the M-Tech products were among the best that we tested. For small- to medium-sized enterprises, the packages are intuitive enough to not create needless administrative overhead. We rate this product our Best Buy.
M-Tech ID Synch and P Synch are two companion programs that are available to perform identity management. The ID Synch package performs most of the identity management tasks including provisioning, workflow creation, distributed administration and reporting. The P Synch package performs the single sign-on component of identity management. The ID Synch package is primarily a web-based package that uses SSL for protecting the data during transmission.
Installing the M-Tech products was the easiest of any of the products we tested in identity management. The products were both wizard-driven and were straightforward and easy to understand during the installation.
The web-based configuration of the M-Tech product suites felt intuitive and easy to understand. For example, each of the major headings in the menus reflected commonly used terms in the field of identity management.
Documentation for this product is in the form of several PDF files that are indexed. The beginning pages of each PDF file explain which PDF covers which components of the product. Creating a web-based front-end to direct the reader directly to the correct file would be a nice feature to have. The installation guide is particularly well written and it performs a more than adequate job of leading the installer through the process. The PDF files are large and a more advanced search function could also help speed the reader’s search to find the correct passage.
M-Tech offers different support options for its products. The M-Tech website does not have an easy to find support section, but the product documentation is readily available online.
Priced in the middle range of the products that we tested, the ID Sync product offered a large number of features for the money. For its rich feature set, performance and ease of use we rate this our Best Buy.
M-Tech ID Synch and P Synch has been rated Best Buy by SC Magazine.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Website observed serving 83 executable files, more than 50 percent malware
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- TeslaCrypt used to extort over $76K in recent months
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Thousands of Bellevue Hospital Center patients notified of data breach
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Investigation ongoing in reported multimillion member Adult FriendFinder breach
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes