ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer
August 02, 2010
Starting at $395 for monitoring 10 hosts
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy click-based filtering and many pre-built reports.
- Weaknesses: Time-consuming to configure. Documentation is very basic.
- Verdict: A capable product that bears looking into, especially for smaller organizations.
The ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer provides event log and application log monitoring and management across a wide variety of hosts and devices all from a centralized web base management console. This product provides a way to instantly analyze the environment for threats and compliance risks and runs pre-built reports for instant visibility.
We found it to be quite simple to install and get up and running. The installation is all self-contained and runs from a single executable. After installation is complete, the management console can be accessed via a web browser. This is where we found it to get a little tricky. The console itself is quite easy to navigate, but there is a lot of configuration that has to be done to get the product working properly. We would like to see a more streamlined way of adding hosts and devices to the product.
However, once devices, device groups and alert profiles are set up, this product proves to be quite powerful. The EventLog Analyzer offers easy drill down with a click and filter process that allows for quick filtering of logs and events.
Documentation is built in as an HTML help file. We found this file to be of average help. While it was well organized with plenty of bookmarks, it did not offer a lot in the way of screen shots or examples. It did, however, have a lot of easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions which helped in getting the product configured.
ManageEngine offers a wide range of both fee-based and free support options. Customers have access to eight-hours-a-day/five-days-a-week phone support, email and remote access assistance as part of an annual support contract. There is also an online forum and knowledge base, as well as other support resources available on the website at no cost.
At a price starting at just under $400 for 10 hosts, we find this product to be an average value for the money. While it does provide some nice reporting and management features, we find it to be quite time-consuming to get up and fully configured.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard