March 01, 2007
Prices start at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Quick deployment and easy-to-manage email filter at a low cost.
Could become expensive for very large organizations.
An easy to use appliance that is especially well-suited for small- to medium-sized organizations.
MailMarshal features not only email content filtering ability, but also can be integrated with some third-party anti-virus and anti-spyware software, such as McAfee and CounterSpy. We also found this program to have many useful pre-defined policies and an easy to use policy engine for creating custom policies. This product also features the MailMarshal Today window that provides a quick summary of the most recent activity and statistics. Fields in the window include Mail Statistics, Inappropriate Content and Top Quarantine Folders.
We found this product to be quick to install and simple to manage. The installation took just a few minutes with the set-up wizard, and the filter was pretty much ready to go. The two interfaces used for management are the MailMarshal Configurator and the MailMarshal Console. Both these interfaces are well organized and easy to navigate with a clean look and an intuitively organized navigation tree.
The MailMarshal filter performed well under test. Just by setting a few of the pre-defined filter policies we were able to stop any harmful email or email that violated policy. Many of the pre-defined polices search the complete body text for possible violations, which makes fooling the filter quite difficult.
Documentation for this product is a large PDF user guide that includes both a live table of contents and index. This guide is loaded with easy to read installation and configuration instructions. Also included are many pre-installation or pre-configuration checklists that help immensely in deployment and management.
Marshal offers phone support globally during business hours in each of the regions, and email support for all customers. Customers receive SpamCensor updates on a weekly basis and benefit from zero-day threat mechanisms for spam and viruses to deal with major emerging threats immediately.
With prices starting at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license, this product is applicable to organizations of almost any size, but it is particularly good for small- to mid-sized companies due to its low cost. For very large organizations, however, the product could become pricey.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Impact of Linux bug 'grinch' spans servers, workstations, Android devices and more
- House, in rush vote, passes Intelligence Authorization Act
- More than 100K WordPress sites compromised by malware due to plugin vulnerability
- Phishing email contains Word doc, enabling macros leads to malware infection
- U.S. accounts for most Mac OS X attacks and websites seeded with malware
- White House calls Sony hack a "serious national security matter," gov't mulls proper response
- 'Spark' shares traits with Alina, JackPOS, uses AutoIt differently
- California nonprofit sues San Diego Police Department over stingray documents
- Critical 'Misfortune Cookie' bug puts millions of internet-connected routers at risk
- Securing the enterprise with the five W's of access