March 01, 2007
Prices start at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Quick deployment and easy-to-manage email filter at a low cost.
Could become expensive for very large organizations.
An easy to use appliance that is especially well-suited for small- to medium-sized organizations.
MailMarshal features not only email content filtering ability, but also can be integrated with some third-party anti-virus and anti-spyware software, such as McAfee and CounterSpy. We also found this program to have many useful pre-defined policies and an easy to use policy engine for creating custom policies. This product also features the MailMarshal Today window that provides a quick summary of the most recent activity and statistics. Fields in the window include Mail Statistics, Inappropriate Content and Top Quarantine Folders.
We found this product to be quick to install and simple to manage. The installation took just a few minutes with the set-up wizard, and the filter was pretty much ready to go. The two interfaces used for management are the MailMarshal Configurator and the MailMarshal Console. Both these interfaces are well organized and easy to navigate with a clean look and an intuitively organized navigation tree.
The MailMarshal filter performed well under test. Just by setting a few of the pre-defined filter policies we were able to stop any harmful email or email that violated policy. Many of the pre-defined polices search the complete body text for possible violations, which makes fooling the filter quite difficult.
Documentation for this product is a large PDF user guide that includes both a live table of contents and index. This guide is loaded with easy to read installation and configuration instructions. Also included are many pre-installation or pre-configuration checklists that help immensely in deployment and management.
Marshal offers phone support globally during business hours in each of the regions, and email support for all customers. Customers receive SpamCensor updates on a weekly basis and benefit from zero-day threat mechanisms for spam and viruses to deal with major emerging threats immediately.
With prices starting at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license, this product is applicable to organizations of almost any size, but it is particularly good for small- to mid-sized companies due to its low cost. For very large organizations, however, the product could become pricey.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Oracle PeopleSoft attack could enable big data breaches
- Zero-day in Fiat Chrysler feature allows remote control of vehicles
- Cyber attack on U.S. power grid could rack up $1 trillion in losses, study says
- All smartwatches are vulnerable to attack, finds study
- 'GSMem' malware designed to infiltrate air-gapped computers, steal data
- Report delves into RAT videos on YouTube
- Tor Project, Library Freedom Project to establish Tor exit nodes in libraries
- PagerDuty requires password change for all customers following breach
- Cisco: Attackers innovating, evading defenses in first half of 2015
- Does Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sense spell end of private wireless networks?