March 01, 2007
Prices start at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Quick deployment and easy-to-manage email filter at a low cost.
Could become expensive for very large organizations.
An easy to use appliance that is especially well-suited for small- to medium-sized organizations.
MailMarshal features not only email content filtering ability, but also can be integrated with some third-party anti-virus and anti-spyware software, such as McAfee and CounterSpy. We also found this program to have many useful pre-defined policies and an easy to use policy engine for creating custom policies. This product also features the MailMarshal Today window that provides a quick summary of the most recent activity and statistics. Fields in the window include Mail Statistics, Inappropriate Content and Top Quarantine Folders.
We found this product to be quick to install and simple to manage. The installation took just a few minutes with the set-up wizard, and the filter was pretty much ready to go. The two interfaces used for management are the MailMarshal Configurator and the MailMarshal Console. Both these interfaces are well organized and easy to navigate with a clean look and an intuitively organized navigation tree.
The MailMarshal filter performed well under test. Just by setting a few of the pre-defined filter policies we were able to stop any harmful email or email that violated policy. Many of the pre-defined polices search the complete body text for possible violations, which makes fooling the filter quite difficult.
Documentation for this product is a large PDF user guide that includes both a live table of contents and index. This guide is loaded with easy to read installation and configuration instructions. Also included are many pre-installation or pre-configuration checklists that help immensely in deployment and management.
Marshal offers phone support globally during business hours in each of the regions, and email support for all customers. Customers receive SpamCensor updates on a weekly basis and benefit from zero-day threat mechanisms for spam and viruses to deal with major emerging threats immediately.
With prices starting at $1,080, including first year maintenance for a 25 user license, this product is applicable to organizations of almost any size, but it is particularly good for small- to mid-sized companies due to its low cost. For very large organizations, however, the product could become pricey.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Study: Employees acknowledge risky security behavior, continue to engage in it
- Hack of airplane systems described in FBI docs raises security questions
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Thousands of Bellevue Hospital Center patients notified of data breach
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Investigation ongoing in reported multimillion member Adult FriendFinder breach
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes