McAfee MOVE Anti Virus
March 01, 2013
$34.73 per virtual desktop and up, depending on number of desktops/servers.
- Strengths: Provides ePO managed anti-virus for virtualized environments.
- Verdict: Ease of use combined with the ability to integrate a virtual environment into the overall hybrid environment for an ePO-managed, anti-malware capability that is seamless across all of the hybrid, physical or virtual, components.
Anti-malware today suffers from a frustrating dichotomy. First, it is, arguably, the most mature of all of the capabilities in the security practitioner's toolkit. And, certainly, McAfee is one of the grand old products of the genre. On the other hand, a huge percentage of today's threats - especially advanced persistent threats - are delivered using increasingly sophisticated malware. Throw virtualized environments into the mix and one has a witch's brew of potentially bad news.
McAfee has successfully brought together the application of a centralized policy engine - ePO - with its anti-malware capability in the physical world. There is a strong suite of enterprise-class protection for the physical data center. Today, though, most enterprises of any size are becoming virtualized, so this protection needs to reach into the virtual to be effective. Because today's virtualization extends from servers to endpoints, the notion of pervasive anti-virus (AV) is even more important. Data and other transmittable files - especially bad files, such as malware - can move extremely quickly across a virtualized network backbone, so controlling malware in a virtualized world may well be more important than it is in the physical world. MOVE AV addresses this challenge head-on.
MOVE is optimized for the virtual - and it is hypervisor agnostic. It is managed through ePO policies and it integrates cleanly with other McAfee capabilities in the physical enterprise. Nowhere is a scan storm more threatening to system performance than when it results from AV scanning across a virtual network. MOVE monitors all of the loads - memory, CPU, IO, disk, hypervisor and more - in the virtual environment and manages itself accordingly.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- APT operation 'Double Tap' exploits serious Windows OLE bug
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context
- Regin: nation-state possibly behind the stealthy modular spying malware
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- DDoS attacks cost organizations $40,000 per hour, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Study: 'High priority' issues hamper endpoint security solution implementation
- Researchers identify POS malware targeting ticket machines, electronic kiosks
- Pirated Joomla, WordPress, Drupal themes and plugins contain CryptoPHP backdoor
- DDoS attacks grew in size, threats became more complex, Q3 reports say
- Man gets 18 months in prison for accessing Subway POS devices, loading up gift cards