Neiman Marcus breach dates back to July 2013, according to report

Share this article:

The attack on Neiman Marcus point-of-sale systems dates back to July 2013 and the threat was not completely mitigated until Sunday, unnamed people briefed on the retailer's investigation told the New York Times in a Thursday report.

Neiman Marcus has yet to officially announce details of the incident, including when it initially began, but according to a statement released earlier on Thursday by Neiman Marcus CEO Karen Katz, unauthorized card activity was linked to customer purchases in the retailer's stores.

Katz announced that one free year of credit monitoring services would be offered to any customer who shopped in a Neiman Marcus store in the past year, leading to speculation that the attack may have begun well before it was officially announced on Monday.

Share this article:
You must be a registered member of SC Magazine to post a comment.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

LEADS Act addresses gov't procedure for requesting data stored abroad

LEADS Act addresses gov't procedure for requesting data ...

Senators introduced the legislation last week as a means of amending the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA).

Report: Intrustion prevention systems made a comeback in 2013

Report: Intrustion prevention systems made a comeback in ...

A new report indicates that intrusion prevention systems grew 4.2 percent in 2013, with growth predicted to continue.

Mobile device security sacrificed for productivity, study says

Mobile device security sacrificed for productivity, study says

A Ponemon Institute study, sponsored by Raytheon, revealed that employees increasingly use mobile devices for work but cut corners and circumvent security.