June 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: This product includes protection on all fronts, including internet, email and documents.
- Weaknesses: None we could find.
- Verdict: Priced a bit lower this would have been a strong contender for our Recommended award. As it is, NOD32 is an extremely strong product with a lot of features.
This product contains several pieces that integrate very well. When combined, it covers protection from viruses, worms, spyware and other malicious attacks. The pieces include anti-virus monitor, email monitor, document monitor and internet monitor. The monitors are delegated to serve their specific purpose; therefore, protection is complete and no one monitor is overburdened. The monitors work nicely together to proactively protect the computers. Another component of the system is the NOD Scanner. The NOD Scanner is an on-demand scanner that can be controlled from the console to scan systems on a schedule or on-demand.
The NOD32 system, though powerful and feature-packed, is easy to use and intuitive to deploy. The installation was quick and consisted of just a few small executable files. Once installed, we went to the console and deployed clients with no difficulty. We were then able to update the clients and run scans easily. The console itself is well organized, simple and intuitive.
The appearance of the many monitors and scanners might lead one to think that the application would be heavy and slow the clients down. However, this is not the case. The client application is lightweight and consumes only about 23MB of memory. Also, the product constantly monitors every facet of possible infection. This product shines for sure.
Documentation provided with this product comes in a small installation and configuration guide. The guide nicely details the initial installation and configuration of the product. With clear step-by-step instructions and many screen shots to guide the way, getting this product running is an easy task. There are also administration guides available on the vendor website to augment the installation guide. We found the documentation to be helpful and well organized.
ESET offers a lot of support on their website. This includes telephone support, downloads, documentation, FAQs, forums and updates.
This product is a good investment for almost any size environment. Though the price is a little high, it is balanced by the many areas of protection offered, as well as its high ease of use and management.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Samsung devices, including Galaxy S6, vulnerable to remote code execution
- Dridex banking malware spreading through new spam campaign
- More than 440K new Android malware strains found in Q1, study finds
- U.S., China agree to cybersecurity code of conduct
- Suspicious activity on LastPass network, data compromised
- Study: Only 27 percent of flaws found in gov't applications fixed
- Hacking Team hacked; leaked documents confirm sale of software to Sudan and Ethiopia
- Oracle PeopleSoft attack could enable big data breaches
- FireKeepers confirms breach, says about 85,000 cards and other info are at risk
- Plex video sharing customers left at risk after hack attack