June 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: This product includes protection on all fronts, including internet, email and documents.
- Weaknesses: None we could find.
- Verdict: Priced a bit lower this would have been a strong contender for our Recommended award. As it is, NOD32 is an extremely strong product with a lot of features.
This product contains several pieces that integrate very well. When combined, it covers protection from viruses, worms, spyware and other malicious attacks. The pieces include anti-virus monitor, email monitor, document monitor and internet monitor. The monitors are delegated to serve their specific purpose; therefore, protection is complete and no one monitor is overburdened. The monitors work nicely together to proactively protect the computers. Another component of the system is the NOD Scanner. The NOD Scanner is an on-demand scanner that can be controlled from the console to scan systems on a schedule or on-demand.
The NOD32 system, though powerful and feature-packed, is easy to use and intuitive to deploy. The installation was quick and consisted of just a few small executable files. Once installed, we went to the console and deployed clients with no difficulty. We were then able to update the clients and run scans easily. The console itself is well organized, simple and intuitive.
The appearance of the many monitors and scanners might lead one to think that the application would be heavy and slow the clients down. However, this is not the case. The client application is lightweight and consumes only about 23MB of memory. Also, the product constantly monitors every facet of possible infection. This product shines for sure.
Documentation provided with this product comes in a small installation and configuration guide. The guide nicely details the initial installation and configuration of the product. With clear step-by-step instructions and many screen shots to guide the way, getting this product running is an easy task. There are also administration guides available on the vendor website to augment the installation guide. We found the documentation to be helpful and well organized.
ESET offers a lot of support on their website. This includes telephone support, downloads, documentation, FAQs, forums and updates.
This product is a good investment for almost any size environment. Though the price is a little high, it is balanced by the many areas of protection offered, as well as its high ease of use and management.
SC Magazine Articles
- Industry pros react to Cisco, Fortinet advisories after possible Snowden NSA leak
- WikiLeaks postings of Turkish emails included active links to malware
- U.S. government extends offer to protect states from electoral cyberthreats
- Trust exercise: Symantec's new website security expert is reaching out to hacker community
- Cisco shedding 7% of its workforce
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- CEO sacked after aircraft company grounded by whaling attack
- Microsoft warns of new, self-propagating ransomware in the wild
- Wendy's POS breach 'considerably' bigger than first thought
- After NSA leaks, a renewed interest in vulnerability disclosure
- USAA members hit with multiple phishing attacks
- Saving money on security software by improving cyber posture, report
- Two-thirds of IT security pros surveyed expect a breach to hit their company, report
- Epic hack, thousands of salted logins stolen