NSA ordered to halt plans to destroy phone data records

Share this article:

A California federal judge ordered the National Security Agency (NSA) to pause plans to destroy millions of phone records until at least March 19.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an internet privacy group, asked the judge for a temporary restraining order that would protect potential evidence in privacy lawsuits against the NSA, according to Bloomberg News.

The ruling follows a decision earlier this month by the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which stated that the NSA has to destroy all phone data five years after its collection date. In that case, the judge determined that the indefinite holding of phone data would further “infringe on the privacy interest of the United States persons.”

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey White will hold a hearing on March 19 to determine whether the records will be kept.

Share this article:
You must be a registered member of SC Magazine to post a comment.

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

CryptoWall surpasses CryptoLocker in infection rates

CryptoWall surpasses CryptoLocker in infection rates

A threat analysis from Dell SecureWorks CTU says that CryptoWall has picked up where its famous sibling left off.

Professor says Google search, not hacking, yielded medical info

Professor says Google search, not hacking, yielded medical ...

A professor of ethical hacking at City College San Francisco came forward to clarify that he did not demonstrate hacking a medical center's server in a class.

Syrian Malware Team makes use of enhanced BlackWorm RAT

Syrian Malware Team makes use of enhanced BlackWorm ...

FireEye analyzed the hacking group's use of the malware, dubbed the "Dark Edition" of BlackWorm.