Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard
Adopting PCI DSS is a sensible thing to do from a security perspective, says New Net Technologies' Mark Kedgley.
Global Payments, a major credit card processor based in Atlanta, is off Visa's approved list after it confirmed it was breached of some 1.5 million card numbers. The incident, however, is still shrouded in some mystery.
The EMV standard, widely considered an effective way to curb counterfeit card fraud because it requires a microchip to be embedded in a credit or debit card or on a mobile device, is gradually picking up steam in the U.S.
PCI rules have evolved to keep up with new technologies, and adoption rates are growing, says Visa's Eduardo Perez.
Still facing budgetary pressures, security execs must apply unique thinking to security spend, which might mean studying metrics, making friends and passing compliance on the cheap.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Study: Employees acknowledge risky security behavior, continue to engage in it
- Hack of airplane systems described in FBI docs raises security questions
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Thousands of Bellevue Hospital Center patients notified of data breach
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Investigation ongoing in reported multimillion member Adult FriendFinder breach
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes