Perimeter eSecurity Firewall and Intrusion Prevention
September 09, 2009
$300-$800 per month
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly customizable service that can monitor and manage various threats against the network perimeter.
- Weaknesses: Not available in the U.K. or Europe.
- Verdict: Very competent offering priced right. We wish that it had more global reach, though.
The Firewall and Intrusion Detection and Prevention service from Perimeter eSecurity provides 24/7 real-time protection and comprehensive reporting. The company monitors the network, configures and maintains the firewall device, monitors logs and analyzes trends in intrusion attempts to ensure that the network stays consistently secure against threats. The system uses Perimeter's own technology, called ThreatSmart, which uses both signature- and analysis-based detection methods.
Customers can also view network information through the Viewpoint dashboard. This provides an in-depth overview of the network security systems in place. Customers can then drill down into a specific service, such as the firewall, and easily view alert and statistical data in rich detail, as well as view and manage reports. We found all the dashboards to be easy to navigate and well-organized.
Perimeter's security analysts are immediately notified of any security or connectivity issues and take appropriate action to remediate trouble situations. Remediation can include configuration changes, network troubleshooting and customer notification. Through the use of a correlative security engine, called Viewpoint 2.0, customers get instant access to data for reporting and compliance purposes.
Customers receive a PDF product guide which outlines how to use the service. We found this guide to be easy to follow with an organized layout and many screen shots and diagrams.
This service comes with dedicated support, both technical and monitoring, 24/7 via Perimeter eSecurity's operations center. This includes both phone- and email-based support.
The management and monitoring price range is $300-$800 per month based on the number of users per location. The reporting only price range is $150-$400 per month based on number of users per location. We find this service to be a solid value for the money.
Perimeter offers a lot of various services beyond firewall and IPS, such as anti-virus and vulnerability scanning, to add to the value as well.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context