Policy Based Management
Throughout the day, SC Magazine will be announcing the finalists from each of its 32 award categories, covering the Reader Trust, Professional and Excellence sections.
The risk environment is becoming more complicated as time goes on and criminals become more and more sophisticated.
A private equity firm has acquired LANDesk Software, maker of enterprise IT management solutions, the two companies announced Monday.
When the stakes are as high as they are today, relative to protecting organizational information and data, having risk and policy management capability is worth a lot, says Peter Stephenson.
By the end of the summer, the FTC hopes to release a set of "guiding principles" outlining how businesses should handle certain privacy issues.
Reality sets in not longer after taking an information security job, as step two of this author's "Five Stages of Employment" series continues.
With regards to network security and setting perimeters, what constitutes legitimate network activity?
It's no news that the current economic situation has put a strain on companies' finances, but a recent survey aimed to quantify the toll the recession has taken on IT budgets.
Lawmakers and public policy experts clashed Tuesday over whether cybersecurity control should be taken away from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and placed under the White House's purview.
Companies should consider merging physical and information security into a converged program -- it might be challenging but it will be worth it.
Endpoint security solutions vendor Lumension announced on Monday its acquisition of Securityworks, an IT security, risk and compliance solutions vendor. The acquisition will enable Lumension to help organizations improve their overall security and risk posture, optimize IT resources, increase operational efficiency and reduce the cost and complexity of demonstrating compliance the company said in a news release. The IT governance, risk management and compliance (GRC) software market is expected to grow from $590 million in 2006 to $1.3 billion by 2011, according to Forrester Research. — AM
Management increasingly is recognizing security as a top business priority, which is resulting in higher budgets for some organizations despite the economic slowdown, according to a new survey.
The FTC has established a how-to guide for coping with new requirements aimed at deterring identity theft.
At least 69 computers are missing from the Los Alamos National Laboratory, a national security research institution in New Mexico.
The risk of patient information disclosures on peer-to-peer networks is much higher than if a health care worker loses a laptop or removable storage device, according to new Dartmouth College research.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on Thursday released new guidelines to help federal agencies comply with the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA).
Eliminating administrator rights -- the default setting on most Windows machines -- can stop the spread of malware, a new study has found.
More than half the respondents of a recent poll said their organization does not have a policy on using Facebook.
Despite the ongoing financial crisis, IT security spending is expected to grow this year, according to two reports from Forrester.
A simulation this week demonstrated the need for better collaboration among public and private security groups.
Human error is the primary cause of information technology security breaches because, too often, individuals are given the option to bypass security processes.
Companies are struggling to come to grips with the basics of vulnerability management.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context