IT security professionals must learn to identify trustworthy and reliable products and vendors. But keep in mind, no matter how objectively certified a product may be, if the vendor has a poor reputation, the product will lose credibility.
How unified is "unified"? Judging by this year's crop of unified threat managers under review, pretty doggone unified, says Peter Stephenson.
The UTM started out as an evolution from multipurpose devices some years back, but has now morphed into a well-defined product that has morphed again into a catch-all for security functionality.
DesktopDirect is a simple - though not at all simplistic - RDP gateway.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context