Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway
March 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Highly customizable and effective email content filtering capability.
Difficult-to-navigate web interface.
A solid product that requires some effort to use and tolerance for a price tag that can run a bit high.
The Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway has many great features. By sitting at the gateway between the firewall and mail server, it is able to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail closely for suspicious content or possible threats. The appliance uses the Proofpoint MLX engine, which provides ongoing learning to identify spam and other potentially dangerous threats.
This product was easy to use and deploy. However, we found the web interface to be difficult to navigate as it is broken down into several categories. While this makes the appliance flexible, having so many categories can make finding exactly what you are looking for a cumbersome process.
This appliance protects against many types of dangerous content, including spam, known and emerging viruses, and connection-level attacks and hackers. It also provides a small default dictionary of offensive words that can be used for additional content filtering. Rules also can be created to enforce compliance at the level of content, as well as regulatory compliance standards, such as HIPAA and GLBA.
The documentation for this product begins with a large quick-start card and installation guide that work together in the initial set-up and configuration of the appliance. The quick-start card is well-organized and provides easy, step-by-step instructions on deploying the appliance into the environment. Once the appliance web interface is reachable, an administration guide is available in PDF format. The admin guide provides configuration instructions in a well-organized format.
Support, maintenance and updates are included in the subscription price. Additional options, including training courses, installation packages, a dedicated technical account manager, etc., are also available.
The Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway is priced as a one-time fee for the appliance hardware, plus a software subscription to Proofpoint’s modular messaging security services, which are priced on a per-user (mailbox), per-year basis depending on the number of users. Proofpoint Messaging Security Gateway model P800 appliance is $9,750 (one-time cost). This includes Proofpoint Email Firewall and Proofpoint Content Compliance modules. While the price for the appliance itself may seem like a bargain, since licensing is done on a per user level, for a large enterprise this device can become a pricey investment.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Study: Employees acknowledge risky security behavior, continue to engage in it
- Hack of airplane systems described in FBI docs raises security questions
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Thousands of Bellevue Hospital Center patients notified of data breach
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Investigation ongoing in reported multimillion member Adult FriendFinder breach
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes