Proventia Network MFS Appliance
August 10, 2006
Internet Security SystemsProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Simple deployment, easy to manage, loads of protection features.
- Weaknesses: Full support costs extra.
- Verdict: A powerful multi-function appliance, user-friendly and very well-documented.
This product was amazingly easy to set up and use. Recommended for its power and simplicity, we had it up and running in no time at all.
Its Java-based web interface is easy to navigate, while policy configuration is both easy and intuitive. Alongside the imaginative layout of the web interface, it offers useful help files. All this makes this device very simple to manage.
The box is loaded with useful features, including a firewall, VPN, intrusion prevention, web filtering, anti-virus and anti-spam. They are accessible from the web interface and fully customisable to suit the individual needs of the particular network environment.
With fully customisable policies, a load of well-integrated features, and easy-to-read logging and reporting, this product performs extremely well.
The appliance is well-integrated with itself and able to integrate seamlessly with the existing structure of the network. All logs and alerts can be viewed easily in real time.
The documentation is well-organised and explains in detail everything needed to set up the Proventia box and configure it for any specific network environment and deployment needs. We found the documentation to be clear and easy to understand, with lots of diagrams, charts and screenshots.
ISS does offer support, but the user must first create a support account. The company provides plenty of support options, including phone, email and product updates and downloads.
Also available is an extensive knowledge base, which is free on the website. ISS does offer extra support via technical support plans for an extra cost.
The Proventia MFS Appliance is excellent value for money. The product provides many custom features, full comprehensive protection and easy management. This would be a good investment for just about any medium-to-large company, as well as for some very large enterprises.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context