Report: HBGary Federal CEO Barr steps down

Disgraced HBGary Federal CEO Aaron Barr has resigned, according to a report Monday in Threatpost. Barr's troubles began early last month when he told the Financial Times that he was prepared to reveal information about the Anonymous hacking group at a security conference in San Francisco the following week. Anonymous responded by hacking into security firms HBGary and HBGary Federal (whose site is currently offline) and publishing tens of thousands of emails belonging to its executives. The emails revealed some troubling things, including plans by HBGary Federal and two other firms to silence WikiLeaks supporters, including Salon.com journalist Glenn Greenwald. Barr said he was stepping down "to focus on taking care of my family and rebuilding my reputation." – DK

Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.

Three LulzSec members plead guilty in London

Ryan Ackroyd, 26; Jake Davis, 20; and Mustafa al-Bassam, 18, who was not named until now because of his age, all admitted their involvement in the hacktivist gang's attack spree.