Research And Development
The Advanced Cyber Security Center will partner businesses and research universities to share threat information and develop more effective defense strategies.
Katie Moussouris, senior security strategist lead at Microsoft, discusses the software giant's recently announced Blue Hat competition, which offers $250,000 in cash and prizes to the winning researchers who develop advanced technologies to defend Windows against entire classes of vulnerabilities that can be exploited to bypass the platform's existing mitigations. Moussouris describes how Microsoft came up with the idea, why defensive research is just as important as one-off vulnerability discoveries and how the oft-cynical research community is reacting to the contest.
The DoD's Cyber Fast Track initiative will fund small hacker groups and independent researchers in the development of cutting-edge solutions that can be created in short intervals for a low cost.
The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is currently heading a new five-year, $10 million U.S. Department of Homeland Security project to investigate open cybersecurity methods and how they can benefit government. The program, called Homeland Open Security Technology (HOST), is aimed at identifying open-source approaches that can support federal security objectives while saving agencies money. As part of the program, GTRI researchers are reaching out to members of government, industry and academia to learn how such solutions have been successfully implemented and where challenges remain. They plan to launch a public information portal this summer.
In order for research to be effective, collaboration must improve between the government, university and industry sectors, panelists agreed at a session at Wednesday's RSA Conference.
SC Magazine Articles
- Was Spotify breached? Account info shows up on Pastebin
- Report: Ransomware feeds off poor endpoint security
- Researcher finds backdoor that accessed Facebook employee passwords
- Over 7M Minecraft mobile credentials exposed after Lifeboat data breach
- DōTERRA breach exposes customer info; including SS, DOB, and addresses
- Federal court bucks trend, rules general liability insurance covers data breach
- The anatomy of a spearphishing scam, or how to steal $100M with a fake email
- FBI investigating attack against computer networks at U.S. law firms
- Pros examine Mossack Fonseca breach: WordPress plugin, Drupal likely suspects
- First Choice Credit Union files class-action suit against Wendy's over breach
- Top NFL prospect Tunsil free falls in draft after apparent hacker posts damaging video, texts
- Researchers spot Android Infostealer disguised as Chrome update
- Researchers spot mobile malware competition on the black market
- Judge ruled go ahead for claims of phone hacking against UK tabloid