Research And Development News, Articles and Updates
The Advanced Cyber Security Center will partner businesses and research universities to share threat information and develop more effective defense strategies.
Katie Moussouris, senior security strategist lead at Microsoft, discusses the software giant's recently announced Blue Hat competition, which offers $250,000 in cash and prizes to the winning researchers who develop advanced technologies to defend Windows against entire classes of vulnerabilities that can be exploited to bypass the platform's existing mitigations. Moussouris describes how Microsoft came up with the idea, why defensive research is just as important as one-off vulnerability discoveries and how the oft-cynical research community is reacting to the contest.
The DoD's Cyber Fast Track initiative will fund small hacker groups and independent researchers in the development of cutting-edge solutions that can be created in short intervals for a low cost.
The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is currently heading a new five-year, $10 million U.S. Department of Homeland Security project to investigate open cybersecurity methods and how they can benefit government. The program, called Homeland Open Security Technology (HOST), is aimed at identifying open-source approaches that can support federal security objectives while saving agencies money. As part of the program, GTRI researchers are reaching out to members of government, industry and academia to learn how such solutions have been successfully implemented and where challenges remain. They plan to launch a public information portal this summer.
In order for research to be effective, collaboration must improve between the government, university and industry sectors, panelists agreed at a session at Wednesday's RSA Conference.
SC Magazine Articles
- Three zero-days found in iOS, Apple suggests users update their iPhone
- MedSec goes its own way with medical device flaw
- Voter databases in two states breached by foreign hackers, FBI
- Juniper confirms leaked "NSA exploits" affect its firewalls, no patch released yet
- Ransomware: The evolution of cybercrime, a roundtable
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Wendy's POS breach 'considerably' bigger than first thought
- No hacking required: Israeli researchers show how to steal data through PC components
- Don't connect your charging cell to a computer or you may get hacked!
- SWIFT warns of new attacks, pushes for security upgrades
- Paypal users targeted in new angler phishing scam, Proofpoint report
- Dropbox commended for its handling of massive data breach involving 68M users
- Google refuses to patch alleged login page flaw
- RIPPER malware suspected behind $350K Thailand ATM heist, report