Research And Development
The Advanced Cyber Security Center will partner businesses and research universities to share threat information and develop more effective defense strategies.
Katie Moussouris, senior security strategist lead at Microsoft, discusses the software giant's recently announced Blue Hat competition, which offers $250,000 in cash and prizes to the winning researchers who develop advanced technologies to defend Windows against entire classes of vulnerabilities that can be exploited to bypass the platform's existing mitigations. Moussouris describes how Microsoft came up with the idea, why defensive research is just as important as one-off vulnerability discoveries and how the oft-cynical research community is reacting to the contest.
The DoD's Cyber Fast Track initiative will fund small hacker groups and independent researchers in the development of cutting-edge solutions that can be created in short intervals for a low cost.
The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) is currently heading a new five-year, $10 million U.S. Department of Homeland Security project to investigate open cybersecurity methods and how they can benefit government. The program, called Homeland Open Security Technology (HOST), is aimed at identifying open-source approaches that can support federal security objectives while saving agencies money. As part of the program, GTRI researchers are reaching out to members of government, industry and academia to learn how such solutions have been successfully implemented and where challenges remain. They plan to launch a public information portal this summer.
In order for research to be effective, collaboration must improve between the government, university and industry sectors, panelists agreed at a session at Wednesday's RSA Conference.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Zero-day in Fiat Chrysler feature allows remote control of vehicles
- 'GSMem' malware designed to infiltrate air-gapped computers, steal data
- United reportedly hacked by same group that breached Anthem, OPM
- All smartwatches are vulnerable to attack, finds study
- Security concerns raised at Windows 10 roll-out
- Report delves into RAT videos on YouTube
- Tor Project, Library Freedom Project to establish Tor exit nodes in libraries
- PagerDuty requires password change for all customers following breach
- Cisco: Attackers innovating, evading defenses in first half of 2015
- Does Windows 10 Wi-Fi Sense spell end of private wireless networks?