Retina Appliance 651
August 01, 2008
eEye Digital SecurityProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to use and comprehensive vulnerability assessment.
- Weaknesses: None that we found.
- Verdict: For its solid performance, good value and its venerable pedigree, we rate this product our Best Buy for the month.
Last year for this Group Test, we saw the software version of this product, so this year we were very excited to see it in an appliance version. We have to say we are quite impressed with the Retina Security Management Appliance. This product incorporates all the great features of the Retina Scanner with added capabilities for compliance and patch management.
This appliance provides such options as network discovery and policy assessment, network vulnerability assessment, vulnerability management and compliance management.
This tool is easy to use right out of the box. We connected the appliance to our test network, booted it up, and we were almost up and running. After a quick initial setup wizard, we were running our first scan from the management console. This console is simple and intuitive to navigate with a simple tab top design. Once a scan is completed, viewing reports and results can be done with just a few clicks of the mouse.
We found this scanner to provide some excellent vulnerability information throughout the test environment. The scan was also quite easy to customize, so we could run several different preconfigured scan templates.
This product includes three pieces of documentation. First is a single sheet installation guide, which illustrates the initial setup procedure. Next is a PDF quick-start guide, which contains information about running scans and a few product features. The final documentation is a full user guide as a help file. This guide goes into great detail about customizing the product and using advanced features. All these guides include a number of screen shots for further illustration.
Basic support includes eight hours a day/five days a week phone support, as well as a warranty on the hardware. eEye also offers premium support, which is based on a percentage of the purchase price. There is also a support knowledge base available on the website.
At just under $2,500, this product is an excellent value for the money for almost any size environment. This solution gives some great vulnerability management features at a fair price.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- FireEye: First multi-vendor ATM malware targeting cardholders
- Customer data possibly compromised in online photo store malware attack
- Excellus BlueCross BlueShield announces breach, 10.5M records at risk
- CVS employee steals data on 55K Molina Healthcare members
- Backdoor in MS Outlook webmail raises security doubts
- Obama administration will not push for legislation requiring mandatory encryption
- Data Security in the 21st Century: Understanding what data to protect
- Consumers need to up password security: Darren Guccione of Keeper Security
- U.S. authorities identify Chinese companies that benefited from military cybertheft
- Samsung Pay secure despite LoopPay breach, company says