SecureScout EagleBox SP
August 01, 2008
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly flexible, customizable vulnerability assessment.
- Weaknesses: The tool has a slight learning curve.
- Verdict: If you have a complicated or highly distributed network, this is well worth looking at.
The netVigilance SecureScout EagleBox SP 2.0 is a highly comprehensive vulnerability management product. This tool is customized and tailored to the environment for absolute pinpoint accuracy and in-depth vulnerability analysis. The feature that sets this product apart from others in this space is that the box is designed for multiple users to manage specific network segments. This provides the ability to segment out a large environment for more specific attention to detail.
We found this product to be quite easy to install in our environment. NetVigilance did some preconfiguration for us as this is part of their customer service process. Once we installed the box in our network, we began setting up targets and scanning our test network.
We did find the management web GUI to be a little overwhelming at first. Because this appliance is designed to handle many segments, we initially had a bit of trouble navigating through the interface.
Overall, this product is a solid performer. We liked the ability to manage specific segments and customize reports and results tailored to those segments. After we became comfortable with the GUI, we found this box to be flexible and quite powerful.
Documentation provided with the EagleBox is in the form of three PDF manuals. The first is an installation guide, which illustrates the steps to get the box installed in the environment. Next is the quick-start guide. This guide outlines some simple steps to use the product and get scans started. The final piece is a large reference manual. This manual contains in-depth detailed information on using the product and advanced features.
NetVigilance provides many support options to its customers, including onsite installation and customization, phone and email technical support, and updates and upgrades for 12 months after purchase of the tool.
At just under $5,000, this product is an excellent investment in vulnerability assessment for any size environment. It adds value by being customized specifically for the needs of the customer.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- APT operation 'Double Tap' exploits serious Windows OLE bug
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context
- Regin: nation-state possibly behind the stealthy modular spying malware
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- DDoS attacks cost organizations $40,000 per hour, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Study: 'High priority' issues hamper endpoint security solution implementation
- Researchers identify POS malware targeting ticket machines, electronic kiosks
- Pirated Joomla, WordPress, Drupal themes and plugins contain CryptoPHP backdoor
- DDoS attacks grew in size, threats became more complex, Q3 reports say
- Man gets 18 months in prison for accessing Subway POS devices, loading up gift cards