June 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Flexible, all-inclusive security and patch management platform.
- Weaknesses: Difficult to manage and weak documentation.
- Verdict: A howitzer where a BB gun makes more sense. Look at this product. If you need total protection, not just anti-malware management.
The LANDesk Security Suite is a module of a much larger, fully inclusive security management tool for networks. The LANDesk Management Suite drives the boat, and modules, such as Security Suite, make the boat stronger. Security Suite has the following features: an anti-virus program, detection of spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers and other malware. This product can also manage network access control, manage the gateway, provide patch management, and it can manage Windows Firewall.
This product is loaded with features; however, it is difficult to deploy and use. While testing, we ran into many problems in installing and configuring the product. The primary difficulty we encountered: because the product does so much, managing the security piece was a confusing task. The main console has a clean and organized look, but we found it was not intuitive at all. Navigation of the console was awkward and it required significant time searching the manuals to operate it.
While difficult to use, the performance of the Security Suite makes it a massive security powerhouse. It has a lot of flexibility and protects against many threats. It also provides integration with many of the leading third-party anti-virus products — such as McAfee, Norton, Sophos, Symantec and Trend Micro. These products, as well as Windows Firewall, all can be managed enterprise-wide from one single console.
Documentation for this product is in the form of many PDF manuals. Each piece of the system has its own set-up guide and user guide. However, while documentation is abundant, finding information is a cumbersome task. The information is not well documented or organized.
LANDesk offers many levels of support and support agreements. Several other support features can be found on the website.
We find this product to be of average value for the money in the category of anti-malware management. We think of this product as the physics Ph.D. who applies for a job at a grocery store. The large amount of capability would be better applied for full endpoint security. The bottom line here is, if a malware management tool is what you are looking for, this product is way too much.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- RSA: Cyber-security industry is "fundamentally broken", says Amit Yoran
- DOD contractors pay $13 million fine for hiring Russian programmers
- Top Priority: Federal Government must get cybersecurity right
- Cyber and real war come together in the Ukraine
- Version 4.0 of ransomware Cryptowall released, now encrypts file names