SME Security 3.1
June 01, 2007
starting at $31.25 per seat per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: High amount of protection and easy to use.
- Weaknesses: Cost.
- Verdict: A product in the Webroot tradition of strong protection. If you can live with the cost, this is a solid winner.
Webroot’s SME Security is a comprehensive malware management tool. This product provides protection against a variety of problems, such as viruses, spyware, trojans, rootkits and adware. Webroot SME Security 3.1 features proactive blocking via Webroot Smart Shields, which offers protection at known spyware entry points, as well as providing protection against common exploits. Therefore, the environment is protected against almost all malware, both active and at rest on a machine.
This product is easy to use. Wizards make installation of the console quick and easy. A pre-installation checklist is provided to ensure that all prerequisite programs, such as SQL Server Express, are available. Once installed, using the management console is straightforward and intuitive. Since the console obtains information from Active Directory, client deployment is simple.
Not only is this product easy to use, but it performs well in any environment. The server constantly updates itself and then pushes the updates straight to the client with no interaction necessary. An administrator can start a network-wide sweep by simply clicking a button on the console. Finally, there are many highly customizable policies.
Documentation for this product is comprised of a quick start guide and an administrator guide. The quick start guide provides deployment planning instructions and illustrates how to set up the servers, the management console and how to deploy the clients. The administrator guide details managing the SME system and setting configurations and policies. All the documentation is clear and nicely organized.
Support for SME Security 3.1 is provided by Webroot’s PeakSupport Program. Support comprises many levels. It includes services, such as email and telephone support, as well as specialized services.
This product falls in the midrange of the value for money scale. With a price tag that starts at $31.25 per seat per year for up to 249 seats, it’s a high price to pay. However, SME Security 3.1 provides a lot of nice features, protection and flexibility for the price. Webroot does offer volume discounts. Discounts are also offered for longer contract times. However, this product is still quite pricey even with the discounts.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Study: Employees acknowledge risky security behavior, continue to engage in it
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Senate fails to pass USA Freedom Act; McConnell moves for revote of Patriot Act extension
- Android ransomware distributed to English speakers in spam campaign
- Site operator sentenced to 13 months for facilitating prostitution
- ISA presses for data to shape cyber security policy, encourages use of NIST framework
- Former Jacobi Medical Center employee improperly emails patient data