SME Security 3.1
June 01, 2007
starting at $31.25 per seat per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: High amount of protection and easy to use.
- Weaknesses: Cost.
- Verdict: A product in the Webroot tradition of strong protection. If you can live with the cost, this is a solid winner.
Webroot’s SME Security is a comprehensive malware management tool. This product provides protection against a variety of problems, such as viruses, spyware, trojans, rootkits and adware. Webroot SME Security 3.1 features proactive blocking via Webroot Smart Shields, which offers protection at known spyware entry points, as well as providing protection against common exploits. Therefore, the environment is protected against almost all malware, both active and at rest on a machine.
This product is easy to use. Wizards make installation of the console quick and easy. A pre-installation checklist is provided to ensure that all prerequisite programs, such as SQL Server Express, are available. Once installed, using the management console is straightforward and intuitive. Since the console obtains information from Active Directory, client deployment is simple.
Not only is this product easy to use, but it performs well in any environment. The server constantly updates itself and then pushes the updates straight to the client with no interaction necessary. An administrator can start a network-wide sweep by simply clicking a button on the console. Finally, there are many highly customizable policies.
Documentation for this product is comprised of a quick start guide and an administrator guide. The quick start guide provides deployment planning instructions and illustrates how to set up the servers, the management console and how to deploy the clients. The administrator guide details managing the SME system and setting configurations and policies. All the documentation is clear and nicely organized.
Support for SME Security 3.1 is provided by Webroot’s PeakSupport Program. Support comprises many levels. It includes services, such as email and telephone support, as well as specialized services.
This product falls in the midrange of the value for money scale. With a price tag that starts at $31.25 per seat per year for up to 249 seats, it’s a high price to pay. However, SME Security 3.1 provides a lot of nice features, protection and flexibility for the price. Webroot does offer volume discounts. Discounts are also offered for longer contract times. However, this product is still quite pricey even with the discounts.
SC Magazine Articles
- USAA members hit with multiple phishing attacks
- Industry pros react to Cisco, Fortinet advisories after possible Snowden NSA leak
- Trust exercise: Symantec's new website security expert is reaching out to hacker community
- Three zero-days found in iOS, Apple suggests users update their iPhone
- Two-thirds of IT security pros surveyed expect a breach to hit their company, report
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Wendy's POS breach 'considerably' bigger than first thought
- No hacking required: Israeli researchers show how to steal data through PC components
- Don't connect your charging cell to a computer or you may get hacked!