SME Security 3.1
June 01, 2007
starting at $31.25 per seat per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: High amount of protection and easy to use.
- Weaknesses: Cost.
- Verdict: A product in the Webroot tradition of strong protection. If you can live with the cost, this is a solid winner.
Webroot’s SME Security is a comprehensive malware management tool. This product provides protection against a variety of problems, such as viruses, spyware, trojans, rootkits and adware. Webroot SME Security 3.1 features proactive blocking via Webroot Smart Shields, which offers protection at known spyware entry points, as well as providing protection against common exploits. Therefore, the environment is protected against almost all malware, both active and at rest on a machine.
This product is easy to use. Wizards make installation of the console quick and easy. A pre-installation checklist is provided to ensure that all prerequisite programs, such as SQL Server Express, are available. Once installed, using the management console is straightforward and intuitive. Since the console obtains information from Active Directory, client deployment is simple.
Not only is this product easy to use, but it performs well in any environment. The server constantly updates itself and then pushes the updates straight to the client with no interaction necessary. An administrator can start a network-wide sweep by simply clicking a button on the console. Finally, there are many highly customizable policies.
Documentation for this product is comprised of a quick start guide and an administrator guide. The quick start guide provides deployment planning instructions and illustrates how to set up the servers, the management console and how to deploy the clients. The administrator guide details managing the SME system and setting configurations and policies. All the documentation is clear and nicely organized.
Support for SME Security 3.1 is provided by Webroot’s PeakSupport Program. Support comprises many levels. It includes services, such as email and telephone support, as well as specialized services.
This product falls in the midrange of the value for money scale. With a price tag that starts at $31.25 per seat per year for up to 249 seats, it’s a high price to pay. However, SME Security 3.1 provides a lot of nice features, protection and flexibility for the price. Webroot does offer volume discounts. Discounts are also offered for longer contract times. However, this product is still quite pricey even with the discounts.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- APT operation 'Double Tap' exploits serious Windows OLE bug
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- DDoS attacks cost organizations $40,000 per hour, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Study: 'High priority' issues hamper endpoint security solution implementation
- Researchers identify POS malware targeting ticket machines, electronic kiosks
- Pirated Joomla, WordPress, Drupal themes and plugins contain CryptoPHP backdoor
- DDoS attacks grew in size, threats became more complex, Q3 reports say
- Man gets 18 months in prison for accessing Subway POS devices, loading up gift cards