SonicWALL Email Security
March 01, 2007
$1,395 before support plan
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Easy to set up and deploy, with an intuitive interface for simple management.
A very easy-to-use product with a limited feature set - good for smaller enterprises.
The SonicWALL Email Security appliance features protection against threats, such as spam, phishing, virus and zero-day attacks. Also included are various filter types, like attachment stripping, which can strip picture or media attachments from email, and junk mail filtering. These features are typical of the average email content filter in today’s market.
This product was a breeze to set up. The appliance includes a quick configuration wizard with several simple steps that get a default configuration up in no time at all. All configuration and management is done using the intuitive web interface. The sleek design of the interface has main categories along the top, such as server configuration, anti-spam and anti-virus. Once a category is selected, it opens up a navigation pane along the side. This makes browsing the appliance simple and quick.
This appliance provides increased protection through compliance policies. Both corporate and regulatory compliance standards can be set up in the policy configuration. It also has an easy to use policy engine, so creating custom policies is quick and easy.
A simple getting started guide is the beginning of documentation for this product. This guide illustrates all of the set-up procedures necessary to deploy the appliance into the environment, including how to configure the mail server for communication. An administrator’s guide follows up and shows advanced configuration options, such as setting up policies and filters. We found the documentation to be descriptive and easy to follow.
Support is subscription-based and comes in two options. One is an email protection subscription with dynamic support 8-5. Email protection subscription with dynamic support 24/7 can also be purchased. Product support can also be found on the product website. This includes documentation, downloads and forums.
The Email Security appliance comes in at a price of $1,395 before a support plan. This appliance is not as pricey as some of its larger counterparts, but it is also not as flexible. However, it delivers good protection on the smaller scale.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- APT operation 'Double Tap' exploits serious Windows OLE bug
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Man gets 18 months in prison for accessing Subway POS devices, loading up gift cards
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context
- Regin: nation-state possibly behind the stealthy modular spying malware
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- DDoS attacks cost organizations $40,000 per hour, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Syrian Electronic Army redirects Gigya, briefly compromises media sites on Thanksgiving Day
- Study: 'High priority' issues hamper endpoint security solution implementation
- Researchers identify POS malware targeting ticket machines, electronic kiosks
- Pirated Joomla, WordPress, Drupal themes and plugins contain CryptoPHP backdoor
- DDoS attacks grew in size, threats became more complex, Q3 reports say