SonicWALL PRO 5060
July 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly capable UTM with many protection services and options.
- Weaknesses: Slightly higher cost.
- Verdict: A solid product with some unique features - very easy to set up and manage. Even at its somewhat high price, we award this our Recommended rating for its strong performance and ease of use.
This product includes the usual suspects of firewall, IPS/IDS and anti-virus, but it also brings in some unusual features as well. The SonicWALL PRO 5060 includes web and email tools, such as anti-spyware, a web content filter and email filtering. Other features are VPN and the ability to manage SonicWALL wireless access points directly from the appliance. Finally the PRO 5060 can manage VoIP.
We found this product to be simple to deploy and easy to manage. The deployment is guided by an easy to follow wizard, which takes just a couple of minutes to complete. From there the webGUI is easy to navigate, and further configuration of policies and zones is a snap.
This appliance comes almost completely ready to protect right out of the box. It contains several pre-configured firewall and IPS policies. It took just a few minutes to browse around the GUI and customize the box for our environment.
Documentation is included on a CD in the form of PDF documents. The CD contains two folders. One is security appliance user guides and the other is security services and software user guides. Also included is a getting started guide, which illustrates getting the appliance up and
running in the environment. All guides are well organized and easy to read, as well as enhanced with many screenshots and diagrams.
SonicWALL has many support offerings, including a customer support portal. The portal contains product guides, downloads and support contact information. The portal also contains support for the services to which the customer is subscribed. Technical support is offered at both 8x5 and 24/7 levels.
Pricing for the SonicWALL UTM starts at $10,995. This product is priced at the higher end of the spectrum, but with the price comes a lot of functionality and flexibility. Even given the higher price, we find this product to be a better than average value for the money and we award it our Recommended rating.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Study: Employees acknowledge risky security behavior, continue to engage in it
- Hack of airplane systems described in FBI docs raises security questions
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Thousands of Bellevue Hospital Center patients notified of data breach
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- Investigation ongoing in reported multimillion member Adult FriendFinder breach
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes