SonicWALL PRO 5060
July 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly capable UTM with many protection services and options.
- Weaknesses: Slightly higher cost.
- Verdict: A solid product with some unique features - very easy to set up and manage. Even at its somewhat high price, we award this our Recommended rating for its strong performance and ease of use.
This product includes the usual suspects of firewall, IPS/IDS and anti-virus, but it also brings in some unusual features as well. The SonicWALL PRO 5060 includes web and email tools, such as anti-spyware, a web content filter and email filtering. Other features are VPN and the ability to manage SonicWALL wireless access points directly from the appliance. Finally the PRO 5060 can manage VoIP.
We found this product to be simple to deploy and easy to manage. The deployment is guided by an easy to follow wizard, which takes just a couple of minutes to complete. From there the webGUI is easy to navigate, and further configuration of policies and zones is a snap.
This appliance comes almost completely ready to protect right out of the box. It contains several pre-configured firewall and IPS policies. It took just a few minutes to browse around the GUI and customize the box for our environment.
Documentation is included on a CD in the form of PDF documents. The CD contains two folders. One is security appliance user guides and the other is security services and software user guides. Also included is a getting started guide, which illustrates getting the appliance up and
running in the environment. All guides are well organized and easy to read, as well as enhanced with many screenshots and diagrams.
SonicWALL has many support offerings, including a customer support portal. The portal contains product guides, downloads and support contact information. The portal also contains support for the services to which the customer is subscribed. Technical support is offered at both 8x5 and 24/7 levels.
Pricing for the SonicWALL UTM starts at $10,995. This product is priced at the higher end of the spectrum, but with the price comes a lot of functionality and flexibility. Even given the higher price, we find this product to be a better than average value for the money and we award it our Recommended rating.
SC Magazine Articles
- Was Spotify breached? Account info shows up on Pastebin
- Report: Ransomware feeds off poor endpoint security
- Researcher finds backdoor that accessed Facebook employee passwords
- Over 7M Minecraft mobile credentials exposed after Lifeboat data breach
- DōTERRA breach exposes customer info; including SS, DOB, and addresses
- Federal court bucks trend, rules general liability insurance covers data breach
- The anatomy of a spearphishing scam, or how to steal $100M with a fake email
- FBI investigating attack against computer networks at U.S. law firms
- Pros examine Mossack Fonseca breach: WordPress plugin, Drupal likely suspects
- First Choice Credit Union files class-action suit against Wendy's over breach
- Top NFL prospect Tunsil free falls in draft after apparent hacker posts damaging video, texts
- Researchers spot Android Infostealer disguised as Chrome update
- Researchers spot mobile malware competition on the black market
- Judge ruled go ahead for claims of phone hacking against UK tabloid