SonicWALL PRO 5060
July 01, 2007
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly capable UTM with many protection services and options.
- Weaknesses: Slightly higher cost.
- Verdict: A solid product with some unique features - very easy to set up and manage. Even at its somewhat high price, we award this our Recommended rating for its strong performance and ease of use.
This product includes the usual suspects of firewall, IPS/IDS and anti-virus, but it also brings in some unusual features as well. The SonicWALL PRO 5060 includes web and email tools, such as anti-spyware, a web content filter and email filtering. Other features are VPN and the ability to manage SonicWALL wireless access points directly from the appliance. Finally the PRO 5060 can manage VoIP.
We found this product to be simple to deploy and easy to manage. The deployment is guided by an easy to follow wizard, which takes just a couple of minutes to complete. From there the webGUI is easy to navigate, and further configuration of policies and zones is a snap.
This appliance comes almost completely ready to protect right out of the box. It contains several pre-configured firewall and IPS policies. It took just a few minutes to browse around the GUI and customize the box for our environment.
Documentation is included on a CD in the form of PDF documents. The CD contains two folders. One is security appliance user guides and the other is security services and software user guides. Also included is a getting started guide, which illustrates getting the appliance up and
running in the environment. All guides are well organized and easy to read, as well as enhanced with many screenshots and diagrams.
SonicWALL has many support offerings, including a customer support portal. The portal contains product guides, downloads and support contact information. The portal also contains support for the services to which the customer is subscribed. Technical support is offered at both 8x5 and 24/7 levels.
Pricing for the SonicWALL UTM starts at $10,995. This product is priced at the higher end of the spectrum, but with the price comes a lot of functionality and flexibility. Even given the higher price, we find this product to be a better than average value for the money and we award it our Recommended rating.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- State Department hack may be tied to White House network breach
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard
- Study: Third of employees use company devices for social media and online shopping
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Swedish appeals court nixes Assange's plea
- Critical XSS vulnerability addressed in WordPress
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will fail if security has no context