Sophos Complete Security Suite
August 01, 2013
Basic price starts at $52.25 per user for one year (200 users).
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Sophos Agent performing multiple duties reducing resource draw.
- Weaknesses: Overall cost was difficult to determine.
- Verdict: Good product that balances features and performance.
The Sophos product suite provides a good set of endpoint protection tools. It includes an enterprise console, device control (including Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac and mobile units), web filtering, application control, data control, network access control, client firewall, encryption, anti-virus, Sophos patch assessment, and more. A single anti-malware agent detects, blocks or removes malware, adware, suspicious files and web-borne threats and prevents users from accessing malicious websites. The built-in host-intrusion prevention system (HIPS) detects and blocks suspicious files and behaviors. Administrators can set policies for control of applications, devices, web (site category filtering) and data (DLP) from the Sophos Enterprise Console. These endpoint controls leverage the same endpoint agent for enforcement, so there is no need for an additional agent, which reduces deployment time and simplifies management. The endpoint agent is lightweight and the small scanning footprint does not negatively impact network bandwidth, nor does it consume local resources. Sophos Endpoint AV provides frequent and automatic updates to ensure that systems are always current with the latest anti-malware definition.
From the beginning, our installation process was easy. We had our system up and running in under an hour. Sophos provided a good set of .pdf documentation that included a number of guides for quick-start, advanced startup, auditing user, Linux-Unix startup, policy setup, endpoint client help, and more. The product was delivered on a USB stick. The system requirements allowed a number of options. In the SC Lab, the systems used included Windows Server 2008 R2 x86 and SQL 2008. The step-by-step checklist for installing and configuring the system was refreshing. For example, the installation startup guide tells the installer to run the Enterprise Console installer to check if the server meets the requirements for the installation of Enterprise Console, even if the user does not want to proceed with the installation immediately. Users can view the results of the system check on the System Property Checks page of the installation wizard. After one has reviewed the results, they then click "Cancel" to close the wizard. More information about the system check results can be accessed by clicking a URL that provides further guidance.
Sophos offers a basic, no-cost support service along with two enhanced offerings - premium and platinum. All aid is available 24/7/365 and includes unlimited help calls, software downloads, updates and maintenance. Contact methods include email and website support channels. Additionally, all customers get access to a knowledge base, FAQ, support forum, news subscription and basic incident handling. Higher levels of assistance are available for an additional fee based on license cost. Platinum and premium support includes remote technical consulting/training, priority incident and malware sample handling, VIP access to dedicated senior technical resource team, ZombieAlert Service (notifies organizations of spam originating from their network), WebAlert (notifies clients when a website has been compromised by hackers), and remote assistance. Platinum services offers a named technical support account manager, proactive communications and alerts, and other enhanced services.
We found the value for the money is good.
SC Magazine Articles
- Yahoo breach; State-sponsored actors suspected, at least 500 million accounts affected
- Cybercriminals already able to hack ATM biometric readers
- Education sector bullied by ransomware and can barely defend itself, report
- IoT assault, connected devices increasingly used for DDoS attacks
- RAUM weaponizes torrents to deliver malware
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- CEO sacked after aircraft company grounded by whaling attack
- DōTERRA breach exposes customer info; including SS, DOB, and addresses
- UPDATE: Petya ransomware leverages Dropbox and overwrites hard drives
- Some U.S. Bancorp workers' W-2 info exposed in ADP data breach
- RIG EK rigged to steal tricks from Neutrino in fight to fill Angler's void
- SWIFT adds additional protective measures for members to ensure cybersecurity compliance
- 185M incidents bypassed perimeter defenses - report
- Pagers found leaking patient health information
- OVH suffers massive 1.1Tbps DDoS attack